Garfield needing repair

queenmum

Hello all.  I am a new member; just identified the FREE dollhouse I lucked into as a Garfield.  It needs some repair, and then, of course, to be painted and decorated.  I am excited.  I always wanted to build a dollhouse.  I did have one as a child, that my parents made and decorated.  I loved it, but let it go to one of the schools I worked for after I left.  It has been 30 years since.  I lucked into this one just by chance.  My first step will be to find the directions, but just identifying it will be helpful since I can see how to finish/repair the third floor/roof area which was either damaged or put together incorrectly.  I am hoping to get some guidance as to what type of glue to use, how to repair a splintering first-floor ceiling, and what type of trim to use.  The gingerbread and railings were about half gone, so I have removed most of the rest of it.  Any help or direction would be great.  I live in a rural area and haven't found a store close by yet that has an actual dollhouse section.  

Welcome to the little family, Ruth, and good luck finding any store with an actual dollhouse section!  My Garfield is still in its box; I have a stack of unbuilt kits that it has joined.  I use a good carpenter's wood glue (Probond; I have also successfully used Titebond) to join bare wood to bare wood.  I do a dry fit first with masking or painter's tape, but since you're rehabbing and repairing you won't need to do that.  if your ceiling isn't too awful you could probably get away with sanding off the splinters and filling with spackle or joint compound and sanding that smooth and then painting or papering it.  Northeastern Scale Lumber, Micro-Mark and Hobby Builder's Supply all sell mini moldings.

• Like 1

I just started this kit. It is massive, indeed. I got it brand new from a lady in Tennessee who is going to build it with her four year old and when she open the box decided against it. LOL I got a great deal off of Facebook marketplace. She also had a box full of shingles and siding. Got it all for $67!    I had to drive to an a half hours to pick it up but it was definitely well worth it as I am estimating the value of it all of about $400. I wish you the best of luck. I believe this is going to be a fun addiction for me.  Thankfully I saw a post that said not to use hot glue. Even though that’s what green leaves instructions say. I am off today to get tight bond or pro bond.