Hello from Washington!

starlitmelody

Hi, my name is Laura and I’m from Washington. I’ve previously built a Greenleaf kit around 7 years ago and to be honest, did a terrible job. I got one of the Orchid kits and am hoping that the floor will at least be even this time lol. I’m a little confused why the instructions have me preparing the windows before anything else though.... logic says those are one of the last things I should be making.

I collect dolls and repaint Monster Highs usually, this House though will be for my itty bitty bjd and I’m so excited!

I'm currently building two Orchids and skipped the windows... But can't say if this works out okay yet or not. Give me another week and hopefully I'll know.  I'm building for my daughters and they want to paint them but I wanted to use wood glue on as much as I can so don't want windows in with a 4 year old and 7 year old painting on it. So, that was my reasoning for it. I'm currently building the porch and once I get the gable done and the glue dries I'll prime and paint and then put in the windows and trim, or that's my plan. 

Hi Laura, the beautiful part about how you build your house is that you get to pick.  I think sometimes the instructions have you ready the windows because many coats of paint are usually required and that way as you move along when it's time to install the windows are pretty much ready to go.  Again, though, you get to pick. 

Enjoy your build and share pictures when you can, there's lots of helpful members!

I'll join the chorus singing the value of waiting to install windows. Look at the instructions as a general guide rather than mandatory rules, let logic prevail, and all will be well. I love that your daughters are joining in the build. Their participation will mean so much more to them when they play will the finished house. :) 

Welcome to the forum! The Orchid was my first build a long time ago (hate to admit it was put together with hot glue... in the early 90's ... before I knew better). You can definitely wait to do the windows. I remember being very confused about how the windows were supposed to be placed - stuff like that makes more sense once you get the build going along.