I'm New :)

MEOPT

Hello - I'm so new to all this but am trying to identify the dolls in my acquisition of a large dollhouse miniature collection.  So... forgive me if I ask really eye brow raising questions - it's because I don't know - I don't even know the terminology... thanks!

what gallery should I post Pictures in?  I have dolls, furniture and room boxes?  This is so overwhelming... I may just sell it all... but even at that I'm not too sure where to do that if I don't know what I have.

Dolls sometimes have a hang tag under the costume or are signed at the bottom of a shoe. Dollmaking is often a collaboration between one person who sculpted the original, one person who made into porcelain bisque and possibly painted the doll and one person who dressed and wigged the doll. The original sculpter signs the doll mold at the back of the head near the nape of neck, so every doll made from that mold has the signature of sculpter. Even tho the sculpter after creating a master mold never touched the doll in question, the signature is there as it should be. Point being even if you find a signature it may only tell part of a story, it may be the person who dressed it. Now you could have a doll painted by one of the late great dollmakers and costumed by someone less skilled and in that case the doll is still valuable even if it’s badly costumed. 

Unless it’s an original porcelain one of a kind sculpt, there are/were only a handful of mold makers working in 1/12 scale so dolls are usually (at least partially) identifiable without signature, that is, it’s obvious who the sculpter was, and sometimes the painter. The costumer is less identifiable by sight but sometimes that’s possible too if an artist had a certain signature look. 

• Like 1

Upon closer inspection, they do look like wooden heads and hands... and some have wooden shoes but the legs and arms and completely flexible.  So interesting WickedWood, about all that goes into one doll... as far as sigs go... I did find sigs on the bottom of the shoes... (I can't always upload a pick with my post so will try to in the next post...

• Like 1