Reeeally dumb question about 1/12 scale

Louby

Sorry if this seems like the dumbest question ever, but I'm new to this and math was never my strong point. 

Is the 1/12 scale as simple as saying measuring an item and putting it into the converter to get the mm? Or getting the general size of something and putting it in there? My over thinking brain thinks this is wrong and can't be that simple 

Thanks 

Edited by Louby
Extra info

36 minutes ago, Louby said:

Sorry if this seems like the dumbest question ever, but I'm new to this and math was never my strong point. 

Is the 1/12 scale as simple as saying measuring an item and putting it into the converter to get the mm? Or getting the general size of something and putting it in there? My over thinking brain thinks this is wrong and can't be that simple 

Thanks 

No question is ever dumb. 1/12 refers to a scale that 1" represents 12".

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Louby said:

Thanks 

Are you most confident working with inches or the metric system? For me Over here in Sweden it is the metric that is the "every day" system So I amusually converting from inches to mm or the other way around. A tape measure has been a great addition as is perfect since it has booth combined which gives me an easier understanding of the fraction conversions too. 

• Like 1

Laura, there is no such thing as a dumb question, only the questioner who doesn't ask.  As Janet points out, 1:12 refers to the Imperial measurement, so it really is as simple as measuring a life-size item and dividing your answer by 12 to get the dollhouse scale dimensions.  And as Anna mentions, if you're more comfortable with metric, you can convert to millimeters.  The calculator function on whatever device you're using will get a workout, but it really is that simple.

• Like 1

A ruler that has inches on one side and millimeters/centimeters on the other can be really useful to get a visual comparison of the different measurements.  These are fairly standard in the US if you're having trouble finding them at home.  Being in the US, I am more comfortable using inches, but I'm familiar with both and find millimeters useful for really tiny measurements.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019, 12:41:25, Motorhead said:

kokomo -don't suppose you remember where you picked up your triangle ruler from?  I have been searching for one and the fact that the one you have is transparent is a win in my books!!

Oh sorry, Brandie. I didn't see this until just now. My husband bought mine at our local dollhouse store (Dollhouses, Trains, and more) but I think they got it from this lady because her website is printed on the ruler:  http://www.dianepaone.com/pages/dp-Supplies.html

I wish somebody made a straight one of these. The triangle is super but I have found that many times I could really use a straight one, too.

I’m confused about the whole scale thing. I’m repairing a Van Buren my mom made me in 1978 and it took days on line just to figure out its a Van Buren-haha!!! I may need to replace some pieces and  guess I better learn which scale my house is. Any way to know or learn? 

5 hours ago, Rebecca Williams said:

I better learn which scale my house is. Any way to know or learn?

Your older Van Buren is 1:12 scale. That means the one inch in the miniature equals 12 inches (one foot) in real life.

Measure the height of the doorway and/or the ceilings to verify. An eight or nine inch ceiling in miniature equals an eight or nine foot ceiling in real life. For furnishings, the same scale applies. A real life chair with a seat 18 inches above the floor would have its seat 1-1/2" high.

1:24 or half-scale, as it is also called, is just one half the size of 1:12. One inch in the miniature equals 24 inches (2 feet) in real life. . 

That said, manufacturers vary some in their interpretation of scale. Just as in real life, a piece of furniture may be (or appear to be) slightly over-sized to slightly under-sized. The key is how does it look with other items in the room, the same as in real life. 

Working in miniature is a voyage in making the components look real. We work with smoke and mirrors. :) 

By the way, if you had posted a photo of your Van Buren here, you would have had an identification in hours, not days. Don't be shy about asking questions. Rehabs present their own set of challenges. 

• Like 1

Wow thanks for the information! 

I’m going to try and post some pictures of it later but because I’m new and have not been online enough here (and didn’t know how to attach) it wasn’t allowing me. Perhaps today I can navigate this board and get some pictures up. It’s going to need a lot of TLC! I’m so excited about getting her all fixed!

You have made more than 5 posts now, Rebecca, so you may make an album in the Gallery of your Van Buren rehab.  Go to your profile page by clicking on your avatar and you will find the buttons you need.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019‎ ‎10‎:‎11‎:‎49‎, kokomo said:

Oh sorry, Brandie. I didn't see this until just now. My husband bought mine at our local dollhouse store (Dollhouses, Trains, and more) but I think they got it from this lady because her website is printed on the ruler:  http://www.dianepaone.com/pages/dp-Supplies.html

I wish somebody made a straight one of these. The triangle is super but I have found that many times I could really use a straight one, too.

no worries! just ordered a couple! thank you again!!

b