Happy New Year

havanaholly

Happy New year to all! :) Starting the new year by bringing dinner to my sister's for a family gathering. The guys will be watching football this afternoon while the gals will be sorting and culling her holiday decorations, which she claims have been breeding in the off months to the point of being nearly an infestation. I'm baking a corned beef, with cabbage and Hasselback potatoes. I did a test potato yesterday and love the way it turned out.

Family lore has it that what you do on New Year's Day sets your pattern for the new year, so I'll do a bit of work on the Beacon Hill today and sort the mess of papers on my desk, catch up on filing, which is my least favorite thing to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sable said:

I’m ok with raw leafy greens like spinach and kale just not into mushy greens.

I can appeciate that. I grew up in the south so we had lots of greens. They have to be prepared right or they’re too bitter.

Kale chips are addictive!

I’d love your sons soup I make one too. Mines sausage potatoes leak soup and I use some kale in it but only the green curly type it’s kinda thin. Hubby bought the wrong one one year and I refused to use it it was thick purplish and tough. I was convinced it wasn’t kale and sure enough I googled and it was a kale. For a while here in Ca there wasn’t a restaurant  that didn’t have a kale salad on the menu I never did fall in love with them. 

I like experimenting. I googled cabbage recipes since it was going to be stand-alone, not boiled with the corned beef. They all called for bacon. Didn't have any bacon, so I minced some ham I had on hand. Sautéed it, added onion. Hadn't used the spices that came with the beef, so soaked them in a cup of warm water, as I also didn't have the chicken broth the various recipes called for. Strained it into the pot for flavor. Thought it might use some color, so I julienned a couple carrots on the mandolin and tossed them in. Added the chopped cabbage and let it simmer a bit. Two of the folks at dinner allowed as how they really didn't like cabbage but came back for seconds. :) And everyone said they liked the baked corned beef better than boiled but had never thought to deviate from the traditional. (The recipe is on the package.) The third element of the meal, the Hasselback potatoes were also a hit. I like experimenting. :) 

• Like 1

I don't use pork when I cook cabbage, I usually just coarse cut it, drizzle a little olive oil into a pan, toss in the cabbage and a dash or two of Tony Cachere seasoning and a bit of onion, cover it and cook it on medium heat until it smells wonderful and is just beginning to wilt.  I think Mrs Dash might have similar results, we just like the extra oomph of the cajun seasoning.  This year for New Year's we had pork chops and fresh spinach with shallots with our black-eyed peas.

6 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Happy New Year!!  Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country, Lancaster County I happily ate my portion of roast pork and sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and dried corn!  :D YUM! I'm set for the new year!

one of my favorite places is Lancaster County....the Lebanon Bologna is BAR NONE my all-time favorite in the world.  I have friends in Fayetteville, Enola and Lebanon and scattered around outlying areas....beautiful part of the country.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019, 1:28:03, havanaholly said:

Kale is OK with some ham or bacon & onion.

Ham, bacon, and onion are improved with cheese and potatoes and if you're going to do that, you may as well leave out the kale. :cheezy:

Hey guys! Only 11 months, 23 days till Christmas! Happy New Year! :boot:

8 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Ham, bacon, and onion are improved with cheese and potatoes and if you're going to do that, you may as well leave out the kale. :cheezy:

Hey guys! Only 11 months, 23 days till Christmas! Happy New Year! :boot:

Leaving out the kale won't work for us as we actually like it; we also like turnip greens the ways I cook them.  Far and away our favorite leafy green is chard.