Staining greenleaf shingles

LauraLee

I have a question about staining.  I am about ready to assemble the roof and shingles on my first ever dollhouse..the greenleaf Magnolia. Do I need to prep the shingles before I stain them or can I just stain them? I have attached pics of my progress so far on this house. 

4395E87E-43B5-4310-AEBE-201858952569.jpeg

E97387FB-F38B-42F1-ACCE-9F71FE71BA7A.jpeg

You can just stain them. The easiest way is to use two aluminum pans. Punch drain holes in one of them. Nest them with the pierced one inside the solid one. Add stain. Add shingles, not too many. Swish them around until they are the shade you want. Lift the strainer pan with the shingles out of the solid pan. Drain excess stain and spread shingles in a single layer on newspaper or paper towels to dry. Put the strainer pan back into the stain and repeat.

• Like 1

The shingles that came with my Greenleaf kits were in die-stamped sheets that I could bend to break into strips, so to stain those I used an old rag of teeshirt material and rubbed it into the sheet of shingles, making sure to get it well onto (& into) the scored areas.

• Like 1

Hi Laura! I am chiming in a little late here but thought I'd offer an alternative to anyone in the future searching for shingle staining. I recently stained my shingles using the Minwax stain markers after they were applied to the roof. I found it a great deal easier and way less stinky and messy. As a bonus, I was able to use two different types of stain (Cherry and Provincial) to achieve a variegated look. Here's a photo, and below that a link to the blog post where I talk more in depth about it.

IMG_9387.JPG

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/2018/08/storybook-cottage-gets-roof.html

Whatever you choose to do, Good Luck! The Magnolia is looking so lovely already!

Jodi

• Like 5