Blogging, Pinterest, websites

WyckedWood

I was thinking of revitalizing a blog that I haven’t been updating since about 2010. But I don’t know anything about this, it’s in blogger...is blogger still a thing..is that the best one, is there somewhere else that everyone is using for blogs? Also wondering about free or low cost websites, like Wix. What are the benefits to having a website over a blog? Would you only have a website if you were going to have a shopping cart? I’m not really interested in having a shopping cart, I’m sure that’s a paid service. 

Also, just curious why did we lose the Pinterest buttons in our gallery? 

Karin

• Like 1

I use Wordpress for Faking It in Denmark. It’s free and has nice free layouts. They also have the option to convert to a marketplace if you want. You can set it up with pages like an about page, contact page, links page, etc. so it’s like a web page but really just a blog.

If all you are looking to do is write and share images as part of your post, then blogging is alive and well. Instagram and Pinterest are pretty but you just can’t get the level of detail you can with blogging. Can you make money on blogs these days? Not likely. But I think they’re a great option for people like me who want to be able to explain things more in depth. 

There are two versions of Wordpress - Wordpress.org, which you host yourself, and Wordpress.com, which they host for you. I use Wordpress.org hosted on my own domain. I also use my website as my professional presence and having total control over it (plus my own domain name) is important to me, but it's not necessary if your main goal is to have a blog.

You can see my website here: http://www.emilymorganti.com/

At the time I set it up, Wordpress.com made you use a domain like blogname.wordpress.com, which I didn't want for professional reasons. Now they let you customize it so it can just be blogname.com, but I think you have to pay for that.

I find Wordpress very flexible with a ton of templates and plug-ins to help you customize the blog. I think the end result looks a lot better than Blogger. Having a website with more pages than just the blog page allows me to have galleries and do other things on my site besides just the blog.

(About the Pinterest button on Greenleaf's galleries, I don't know, sorry!)

Blogger is still a thing (although I believe now it's owned by Google).  That's where my blog is (and a lot of blogs I follow).  It's free, pretty easy to use, and you can pick your own URL (sort of), assuming it isn't already in use.  They do append "blogspot.com" to the name.  

It might depend on how professional you want it. I still use blogger even though there are annoying changes now and again or things don’t work well at times. I also have a business website through squarespace and it was a bit hard to figure out the set up, but once I got on a roll, I only needed to call the husband a few times for help. It was a good price for e-commerce with no additional hosting fees but there are free non-commerce options too I think. I have a blog on that too. I also tried Wix and it was easier to set up, but for business, it was less functional. They have free versions too I believe. And I also have my own .com name but I pay extra (not much) for that. Hope this helps a little!

Hi Karin,

Just chiming in to say that I have used many of the web site building services and programs for our business. They are all pretty similar, and if you plan to have an online store, they do offer more as they are geared that way. BUT, if you are just looking to connect and share with like minded folks on a regular basis, blogger is free and offers a lot of customization with just a little research and learning. If you are a regular reader of specific blogs and like their layout and plug-ins, most of us are willing to give you some guidance about where to start. I hope you decide to go that way - there are at least hundreds of us still sharing, interacting and posting on a weekly basis and many of us would love to welcome you to blogland!

• Like 1

I used Wordpress for a while until they decided to put ads on all the blogs. OK, fine, they need to make their money, but the ads were placed right in the middle of the blog and sometimes even looked as though I put them there. I'm really picky about what I'll promote (I hate ads anyway), so I opted out of Wordpress. I don't know if they still do that.

I've read a couple of blogs on Blogspot and I don't see many intrusive ads there. I do have Adblock, though, so maybe that makes a difference.