What was the first furniture item you made?

Louby

Mine were Carl and Ellie's chairs for my UP house. Ellie's was from a kit by 1inchminisbykris, Carl's was scratchbuilt following Kris' instuctions. I also followed her suggestions to make them looked well used. I made the lamp table from an HOM kit. The chairs went with the house when I gave it to my granddaughter.

20180207_134614_resized.jpg

• Like 3

I made the bathroom suite from Patricia King's book for the Dura-Craft SF555  I built my eldest granddaughter; it no longer exists.  I make nearly everything I put into my houses.  This dining room table (folded up) is from one of Jane Harrop's books:

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPG

I forget which book I used for the dining chairs; the armchair is from Janet Storey's book:  https://www.amazon.com/Making-Upholstered-Furniture-12-Scale/dp/1861083017 and the ottoman is someting I whipped together.  The flower is made by one of our very talented members from glue & wire.parlor 2.JPG

The hall tree came in a set from the $ Tree and I rescued the 1:12 Barbies & Ken who live here from a local doll hospital and dressed them using Catriona Hall's book:  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1956626.The_Miniature_Costumier and I used Kris' blog to make the table radio, only I used wood and I won't make that mistake again!  The clock is a House of Miniatures kit. the table is an artisan piece the hubs bought me at one of the Atlanta Miniature Shows and the dish cupboard is a Michael's hutch.  Eventually I might stitch a rug for this room.

• Like 3

I totally agree on the 1InchMinis tutorials.  Even when I am not following them exactly, I still try to practice the techniques she teaches.  The first piece of I ever made from scratch was a kitchen sink unit based on a 1:24 tutorial from Melissa's Miniatures:  http://melissasminiaturen.blogspot.com/p/workshops.html  (The faucet is from MiniEtchers.)KitchenSink.jpg.343f597034a1a4ddb87a51eb

I still have it.  It lives in my half scale RGT Bungalow.  There are things I know I could have done better, but I don't cringe at it. 

Because I work in half scale, I make a lot of my own pieces, and am currently doing a room box where I'm making everything from scratch, from my own plans.  I would definitely say I've improved over time.  Now, all my drawers actually work.  :cheezy:

P.S.  Great job, Rbtytsdy!  I think I recognize some of those pieces, and you did them superbly.  :)

• Like 3

I love Kris' tutorials. She rules the tutorial world with Joann Swanson, imo. I have a great collection of Nutshell News mags and I always go straight to Joann's articles - she was prolific.  She stopped posting and then I noticed Kris is as prolific and wonderful...I love her tutorials. I also love that she offers some kits. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for reminding me how great they are - I was just at her site figuring out which one I want to do for the New Year.

You all have such beautiful creations - so impressed!! I'm still practicing. 

• Like 1

The first item I ever made was the House of Miniatures Queen Ann chairs. I used walnut stain and it was much darker than I expected. I used the plain blue fabric that came with the kit. I didn't sand the pieces much, didn't varnish it, and there were some spots of glue that didn't take stain. But I LOVED them. 

I was 12 years old and I felt they looked great - and were my favorite pieces and proudly placed in my Van Buren living room.

Decades later I still have them and I still love them - mistakes and all - that is a solid kit if a 12 year old and can end up with something decent.

I also made a Tic Tac aquarium when I was young. Stuck a magazine photo of fish on the back and then - wait for it - FILLED it with water!!! What was I thinking? It didn't leak, though. Evaporated yes.

I no longer have it, and it didn't hold up as well as the queen ann chairs - but it was fun and so realistic looking to me at the time. lol. I'd probably cringe at it now if I still had it.

But those chairs - what a great kit.

• Like 3

I made the Realife miniatures kitchen for my room box.....I still like it. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7901

I love Kris's tutorials....I experiment with upholstery with mixed results.http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=8152

I still like that Brady Bunch sofa....it was a tab and slot couch that I attempted to upholster....It is so bad that it's good! LOL!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

I still like that Brady Bunch sofa....it was a tab and slot couch that I attempted to upholster....It is so bad that it's good! LOL!

I love your Very Brady Sofa. Wow! I love 70s minis!

• Like 1

First pieces I made were in 1:12 scale and were HOM kits (they used to have a monthly subscription and you got a new kit each month) and Chrysnbon kits (they used to be available in craft stores too!). I sold off almost all of my 1:12 pieces when I fell in love with half scale. :) 

I made my own bathroom cabinet, living room chairs and kitchen cabinets.  They would have been my first.....as with everything the more you do, the better you become!  These look okay but I would have done things differently had I been doing them knowing what I know now!

large.Sept_kitchen.jpg.b98dec5c29c639bfagallery_62950_7053_101988.jpg

• Like 2

Besides turning trash to miniatures, the first "real" furniture I made was with the GL furniture kits. Furniture is an area I want to improve this year. My big problem is that I can't cut a straight line to save my life (with anything: scissors/saw/exacto knife)! So, recently I ordered a couple of furniture kits to see if having some better patterns and pre-cut pieces will help me when it comes to making my own creations. I really love making furniture, too, as it gives you an incredible high to see the furniture in the house. 

• Like 2

Amy, I recommend cork-backed steel rulers for cutting straight lines.  The cork helps keep the straight edge tight to the wood surface.  I keep a supply of new sharp blades handy for my utility knife, and I make repeated cuts along the line until the blade cuts through; I don't bear down and try to cut it all out at once.  Also, I cut those dining chair sides on the bandsaw staying just outside my pencilled tracing line, then used my Dremel sanding drum to tweak the finished product.

I followed @havanaholly‘s advice and found a cork-backed steel ruler, and it helps a lot. I’m curious what cutting/sawing/chopping tools everyone considers the best? I have a basic miter box but I think I need to invest in something that can do more than just 45 degree angles.

I have one of these:  https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-Mini-Miter-Cut-Off-Saw  It does a pretty good job, as long as you don't want to cut anything wider than 3/4".  It's fantastic for cutting trim, floor planks, and most of the pieces for the furniture I make, though, and has been a huge time saver.  It can't really do cornice, because it's nearly impossible to insert the cornice correctly to cut the angles you need.  For that, the old-fashioned miter box is best.

49 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

it's nearly impossible to insert the cornice correctly to cut the angles you need.  For that, the old-fashioned miter box is best

Yes, someone needs to make a compound mini miter saw! I usually cut one side with the electric saw like you have then use the manual miter for the other side. @Lita I also like the Easy cutters https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Hobbies-Collecting/Tools-Blades/Easy-Cutter-Ultimate/p/24058

Use a 40% off coupon!!!

• Like 1