Shadow Boxes

mks

Has anyone ever used a shadow box to display your miniatures that are out of scale for your dollhouse?  I have some miniature items that I would like to display, but also keep protected at the same time, and I am trying to think of different options.  I don't want anything too large, like a curio cabinet as I have no room for something like this.  

I have two large type setter printer drawers that I use for shadow boxes in my workroom. They work great but aren’t overly deep. I also have a shadow box in the shape of a dollhouse I found as a kit on eBay. 

Karin

2 hours ago, mks said:

Has anyone ever used a shadow box to display your miniatures that are out of scale for your dollhouse? 

I made an African themed shadow box using a box purchased at Michael's. You can see it here.

The items are not really out of 1:12 scale, but I have no houses that need this kind of decor. 

I have used a couple of different things for shadow boxes.  In addition to minis I have some metal war game miniatures I painted and a set of Japanese shogunate 1:35 figures from a polystyrene kit I put together & painted; also a few netsuke.

• 2 weeks later...

Funniest thing, I just had this thought today as well! I modified and upholstered the House of Miniature Chippendale Sofa kit and, for whatever reason, I can't stand the way it looks in my little living room. It was too bulky (in the Orchid, anyway) and the decor a tad too modern for my (mostly) 19th century style home. The latter is my own fault for choosing a heavier fabric with a herringbone pattern (which normally I like!). I don't know exactly what the box will be for, but I decided it was time to set it aside if it was making me unhappy :wave:  So, if folks have ideas for a room box focused around a full-bodied, gilded couch, I'd love to hear them :p (I kid). I wonder: do these little bit and bob boxes make for good gifts perhaps? 

3 hours ago, third_hand said:

Funniest thing, I just had this thought today as well! I modified and upholstered the House of Miniature Chippendale Sofa kit and, for whatever reason, I can't stand the way it looks in my little living room. It was too bulky (in the Orchid, anyway) and the decor a tad too modern for my (mostly) 19th century style home. The latter is my own fault for choosing a heavier fabric with a herringbone pattern (which normally I like!). I don't know exactly what the box will be for, but I decided it was time to set it aside if it was making me unhappy :wave:  So, if folks have ideas for a room box focused around a full-bodied, gilded couch, I'd love to hear them :p (I kid). I wonder: do these little bit and bob boxes make for good gifts perhaps? 

Sofa-centric room box ideas (sofa with lots of art and/or bric brac/souvenirs hanging above it):

il_570xN.1722670494_9qei.jpg

Or a mural

21165-monet-bathers-national-gallery-car

Or just a lot of findings:

150318_JBlakeney_762_crop?wid=1066&op_sh

• Like 1

19 hours ago, havanaholly said:

How difficult would it be to remove the upholstery or paint over it?

Probably not impossible, but the piece feels pretty 'overworked' and I think that (for the amount of work it would take) it may just be preferable to either build or buy some armchairs instead. The HoM couch takes up too much room in a house like the Orchid, in my opinion. I'd rather use the space to showcase my other skills (upholstery isn't really one of them, unfortunately!). Plus, I got this Queen Anne curio cabinet at the Miniature Museum of St. Louis (it was truly lovely, by the way!) and it's bulking up the living room now. :dunno: Maybe the sofa just wasn't meant to be? 

17 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Sofa-centric room box ideas (sofa with lots of art and/or bric brac/souvenirs hanging above it):

These are incredible! I don't think my kit sofa looks 1/2 as good as these, but this is certainly very inspiring. Thanks very much for sharing these :)

52 minutes ago, third_hand said:

These are incredible! I don't think my kit sofa looks 1/2 as good as these, but this is certainly very inspiring. Thanks very much for sharing these :)

You could experiment with different periods and styles - maybe that is what this sofa is meant to be- something to experiment with. Good luck!