Another Newbie

KarenO

Hi from Murrieta, California. I just received my “Lily” dollhouse for Christmas.  I have absolutely no experience, but in the meantime am quite excited. I have tried watching some YouTube videos, hoping for ideas.  But they all just seem to skim through things. I read on the directions how you should work one sheet at a time and not pop pieces out until you get to that sheet. And then see a video with all pieces out and spread around. I would appreciate any tips you can share, especially if you have worked on the Lily!  Thank you

Karen

Welcome Karen,

Murrieta is a lovely place! I'm in Las Vegas, and have been there several times for Ladies'  retreats.

I keep my pieces in the sheet until i am ready to use them....Initially you should do a dry fit of the large pieces, but label them with the sheet number and piece number to keep track of them.  Some people pop out the windows and trim and prep and assemble them all at the end. Just try to label them as best you can. It will make it easier in the long run

~~~~Good luck and happy building~~~

My Lily is still in its box.  I leave pieces in their sheets until I'm ready to punch them out.  Usually about the second or third time I read through the instructions I begin to build the shell (I always wait to install windows & doors until after I've done the decorating) using masking tape or painters' tape instead of glue (I call it the dry fit) because quite often I don't understand the instructions that well and I'm a tactile learner.  It gives me the chance to do any shaving or sanding of the slots & tabs to get a more perfect fit and once it's basically together I can chat it up to see what it wants to look like, what I won't be able to get to once it's glued, and figure out what I want to stain and what I"ll need to prime to either paint or paper.

Welcome to the forum, Karen. The Lily is a very pretty house. I hope you enjoy building/decorating it. One of the fun parts is getting ideas and dreaming about what the house will look like when it's all put together.