Workshops you've attended, skills you learned

miniaddicted

I started thinking about the 2019 Workshops, started looking at Bishop's for Chicago...but this spurs another question to you. What types of workshops have you attended over the years? What are you most proud of, and what did you learn? 

I am reminded of a workshop I took with Rik Pierce in 2006 - Medieval Lighthouse. I met @LPCullen and @nuttiwebgal and @Minis On The Edge . That was the workshop that whipped my a** if you have to know the truth! Rolling paperclay for hours and hours was the death of me. I could hardly make it to the hotel room at the end of 12 hours that first day. My body ached like you wouldn't believe but I somehow made it through the workshop! Interested folks can see pics in my Flickr Album

I also did a workshop with Ray Whitledge and Scott Burgess - Le Petit Patisserie. I had always wanted to do one of their workshops, and finally got my chance in April 2009. I learned so much from that workshop it's hard to even list. Wallpapering with fabric, using Ultimate glue, spotlights and wiring for them, the use of faux aluminum contact paper for the finish of the refrigerator, faux painting bricks.

I took a workshop with Nancy Summers - upholstering a settee - See it in Flickr. I learned patience, cord twisting, and gluing fabric. There was also a workshop I did with clay, making breads and pastries...some of which can be seen in my Petit Patisserie above. I also did a workshop with draperies - swag and jabot - seen here in my Bed & Breakfast.

• Like 2

Well, I am in rural Australia, so not a lot of options for me! But I always think about how fortunate I was to do a Rik Pierce workshop in 2014, about a month before his big accident. It was a turning point for me (personally) as well as learning a heap of mini techniques. 

I have also taken painting lessons for the last few years and although they are not mini techniques per se, I have learnt a lot of valuable skills. Well, I am in the process of learning. Like for example not being disheartened by something looking terrible before it is finished. And seeing something as a series of shapes, colour, light and shade, etc rather than as the actual object it is (be it a face, a still life, whatever). And also having the courage to show people my work - something I REALLY struggled with. And still do. It makes me feel very awkward.

There is always something to learn.

Shannon - I hear you there. Its all about learning...and we each learn every time we try. The sense of being disheartened before I'm finished also is something I'm very familiar with. Heck, I just experienced this with the stippling of my window frames. I got cold feet and tried harder, and made matters worse....before I realized I overcompensated. More work, needless to say and if I had stopped, and said yes, this will work well, I would have prevented another unnecessary layer of work.

• Like 1

I haven't had the opportunity or $$$ to take any workshops, but over the years I have amassed a sizable library of how-to books, including minis, and I took some art classes when I was in school (I discovered I'm a tactile learner, so I was a whiz at those!).  Rolling paperclay sounds like one of those zen things.

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Rolling paperclay sounds like one of those zen things.

Ha! yeah....from the mindnumbing point of view I guess so. My body ached so much from all of that rolling...muscles I didn't know I had were heard from. 

2 hours ago, Sable said:

I took a woodworking class at our local high school’s adult evening program. Not a dollhouse related class but it taught me how to safely use power tools so I could customize my own builds.

Heck yeah I'd say that counts!

Painting and art lessons do also! 

I took my first classes at the Dallas show last year, and now I am hooked! 

@1martinimomma and I took a class from Carl Sahldberg of https://www.cr2s.com/. 

I learned so much. In the class, we got to make the Harville fan.  Which really paid for the cost of the class. He taught basic electrical with round wire and tape wire as well as how to solder and solder directly to tape wire. He also gave us numerous little tools for free. He is an ex shop teacher, and really knows how to teach! I can't recommend taking a class from him enough!

At Dallas I also took a class from Shaun Crawford and did the !:48 scale Villa http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=133024

It was a fun class. I learned dry brush techniques, and made a villa.

Both of these teachers are back at the Dallas show this year.

I took a class from Dana Burton in San Jose and hung out with @NellBell. I am now a doll convert! San Jose also had free mini workshops and I did one on book binding/embossing, and made some cute Hershey bars with Ruth Stewart

@Qubanqtee and @NellBell and I are going to do the Ruth Stewart class next month in San Diego. We are hoping @1martinimommawill join us.

It is so fun meeting people from this forum, and laughing and encouraging each other in our mini creations!

• Like 1

I haven’t done any of the big workshops but when I lived near a shop and eventually worked there, I used to take regular make and take classes. They were only $10 and covered the cost of materials and was really an excuse to get together with like minded souls. I learned things like working with silk ribbon and book making. One of the greats, Don Silva (Rik Pierce style) was a regular and worked on his projects in the shop so I absorbed a lot watching him work. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2019, 12:27:44, Mid-life madness said:

I took my first classes at the Dallas show last year, and now I am hooked! 

@1martinimomma and I took a class from Carl Sahldberg of https://www.cr2s.com/. 

I learned so much. In the class, we got to make the Harville fan.  Which really paid for the cost of the class. He taught basic electrical with round wire and tape wire as well as how to solder and solder directly to tape wire. He also gave us numerous little tools for free. He is an ex shop teacher, and really knows how to teach! I can't recommend taking a class from him enough!

At Dallas I also took a class from Shaun Crawford and did the !:48 scale Villa http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=133024

It was a fun class. I learned dry brush techniques, and made a villa.

Both of these teachers are back at the Dallas show this year.

I took a class from Dana Burton in San Jose and hung out with @NellBell. I am now a doll convert! San Jose also had free mini workshops and I did one on book binding/embossing, and made some cute Hershey bars with Ruth Stewart

@Qubanqtee and @NellBell and I are going to do the Ruth Stewart class next month in San Diego. We are hoping @1martinimommawill join us.

It is so fun meeting people from this forum, and laughing and encouraging each other in our mini creations!

Dallas was my first class and I took a class on round wiring electrical from THE LITTLE DOLLHOUSE COMPANY and he was so thorough and explained so much, it included a two story structure so we wired the structure, spliced, and how to hide the wiring.   Best part  was meeting @Mid-life madness and @1martinimomma  in person.   It was amazing and now I can't wait to take another at the San Diego Show and someday get to the Chicago show!

My first class was at the Good Sam show. I baked cakes with Ruth Stewart it was the first time I made clay food. I did the same free classes with @Mid-life madnessand on to the Dana doll class  I’m hooked on dolls right now and room boxes  

So excited to meet @Qubanqtee

And hopefully @1martinimomma at the San Diego show. 

I hope to get to more shows especially Chicago. 

Getting ready to start a new house just not sure which one. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gabby's girl said:

I can’t believe it never occurred to me to look for classes!!!   Y’all are angels, how do I best find them?  

The upcoming Dallas show is probably closest to you https://www.dallasminiatureshowcase.com/workshope-info/

You can google miniature shoes and conventions, and quite a few pop up. Also check out N.A.M.E. (national association of miniature enthusiasts)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

The upcoming Dallas show is probably closest to you https://www.dallasminiatureshowcase.com/workshope-info/

You can google miniature shoes and conventions, and quite a few pop up. Also check out N.A.M.E. (national association of miniature enthusiasts)

that Dallas show has some awesome classes!!!

• Like 1