Gluing clapboard strips

jrchob

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

No, I haven't. I used regular wood glue....Instant scares me, as am terrible with keeping things level.

Edit: I just bought some off eBay....how do you like it?

Haven't used it as yet.

7 minutes ago, jrchob said:

Haven't used it as yet.

I've seen in the back ground of a few blogger's posts, and wondered about it....It says it is great for miniaturists. I am going over to Amazon to see if there are any reviews.

• Like 1

I found that a great multi-purpose adhesive is the 527 adhesive by Beacon.  I used it to glue on all of my clapboard siding and the wood shingles.  It's easy to use and basically can be used to glue everything!   You can get it at any craft store but online is the best, especially if you have a coupon and then can purchase a larger quantity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Creamcheese said:

I found that a great multi-purpose adhesive is the 527 adhesive by Beacon.  I used it to glue on all of my clapboard siding and the wood shingles.  It's easy to use and basically can be used to glue everything!   You can get it at any craft store but online is the best, especially if you have a coupon and then can purchase a larger quantity.

The Beacon website says this about 527: Materials It Bonds: Ceramics, China , Metal, Shells, Tile

Doesn't say anything about wood.

And according to osha.gov, the toluene used for cleanup/thinning is dangerous if it gets on skin or if the fumes are inhaled. Makes me wonder of the glue itself emits fumes. The website says: 

Symptoms of toluene exposure include: irritation of the eyes and nose; weakness, exhaustion, confusion, euphoria, dizziness, headache; dilated pupils, lacrimation (discharge of tears); anxiety, muscle fatigue, insomnia; numbness or tingling of the skin; dermatitis. Toluene exposure may cause liver and kidney damage.

Toluene affects the central nervous system, eyes, skin, respiratory system, liver, kidneys. Breathing high levels of toluene during pregnancy has been shown to result in children with birth defects and to retard mental abilities and growth. There is evidence that exposure to toluene at work is associated with spontaneous abortion.

High concentrations of toluene, usually from use in a confined space or unventilated area, can cause loss of consciousness, respiratory depression and death. Long term and repeated workplace exposure to toluene affect the central nervous system.

I think I'll keep to Aileen's and Titebond.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

@KathieB does the Grrrip Glue have toluene in it?

I do not know. However, if it is necessary to keep toluene on hand to remove glue that gets where it shouldn't be or to take apart bits glued wrong, then I'm unlikely to try it. 

• Like 2

Miniatures.com recommends this for siding. I just found this on another site.

GRRRIP GLUE
Industry Tested Since 1934

This flexible, white craft cement is tacky on contact, dries crystal clear and is perfect for nearly all your doll making needs. Our hands down favorite!

Recommended for fabric, decoupage, felt, most plastics, metals, paper, glass, ceramic and etc.

Flexible, Dries Clear, Non-Flammable, Non-Toxic Solvents, 
Non-Penetrating and Stays On Surface.

• Like 1