Winchester

jrchob

Decided to start a new topic on house since house is here. Will decide on a new name later on. Need to get a real feel for the house. Fortunately the house came with a nice spiral booklet with instructions. Will try to take it step by step and not get so overwhelmed. There are so many parts and pieces where the names are not familiar to me. It helps to daily read the booklet.

Made an important purchase this morning- a wide sturdy stepstool to reach the upper parts of the house!!

• Like 5

Oh this is gonna be such fun to watch! :clap:  That step stool will come in handy!  I have a really tall house (Jarrell Manor) that I think I may just put on a low coffee table when it comes time to do the shingles! :p

• Like 1

So is this a kit of the Winchester house or a kit you're going to turn into the Winchester house?  I'm assuming by the name that it is THE Winchester house??  This is going to be a huge project!  Will be following along for sure!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shareb said:

So is this a kit of the Winchester house or a kit you're going to turn into the Winchester house?  I'm assuming by the name that it is THE Winchester house??  This is going to be a huge project!  Will be following along for sure!

Thanks Rebecca! It is the Winchester from Lawbre. I was able to purchase it with some money my Dad left me. I have started an album.

• Like 1

Finished sorting, priming  name labeling,exterior components. Since I am incorporating several fireplaces, I needed a chimney. It arrived today. It is a solid piece faced with miniature bricks. The maker used to be a mason. Can't do much today as my eyes were dilated earlier.

Parts.jpg

chimney.jpg

• Like 2

Finished putting on 1st side of foundation. Have always painted foundations so this is a first. Thinking of a grey-brown but haven't decided. Also decided on what the rooms will be. With 13 rooms not much is left out!! (except a bathroom. I dislike doing those)

foundation.jpg

28 minutes ago, Cathy C said:

I found these photos awhile back.  They painted the foundation gray, then used watered down acrylics to achieve the gray-brown finish.

Thanks! That's a beautiful finish. Same lannon stone I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been shingling. I think it is easier to do sitting down! My arms get pretty tired. When my arms get tired I am painting the exterior window and some mouldings. I have changed the color scheme. How much I do with the accent color will probably depend on the steadiness of my hands.5c4b2e0b433b0_Newcolorscheme.jpg.ad9f957

I know what you mean about the unsteady hands and accent colors..... I often have lofty ideas, but once I start the fine painting I realize that I just cannot hold my hand steady enough to do the fine detail anymore.....so I tell myself "Keep it simple!"   ;)

• Like 1

Looks great! I get impatient and if I slop a bit over, I use a wet brush to wipe away excess sloppage. Then when dry, if needed, touch up with whatever colour needs touching up. For me, it is a matter of gradually neatening things up with various layers of paint until I get a neat enough edge to be reasonably happy. 

• Like 3

I spend more time applying painters tape around smaller detailed surfaces than I do painting them but the time spent is worth it to keep everything neat. However, with your house that would be an entire roll of tape and more patience than I would have. Beautiful house.

• Like 3

I have just decided all the cords in the windows are broken!! Since I can"t hire a window person, they have just become non working windows.I attempted to begin to paint one this morning by first removing the bottom panes.I ended up with the window in many pieces. So...

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

How's this for detail!!

1 hour ago, jrchob said:

I have just decided all the cords in the windows are broken!! Since I can"t hire a window person, they have just become non working windows.I attempted to begin to paint one this morning by first removing the bottom panes.I ended up with the window in many pieces. So...

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

How's this for detail!!

The image doesn't show up, but I can imagine your frustration. I like the way you solved the non-opening window issue. Where's a reliable handyman when you need one?   :dunno:

33 minutes ago, KathieB said:

The image doesn't show up, but I can imagine your frustration. I like the way you solved the non-opening window issue. Where's a reliable handyman when you need one?   :dunno:

Sorry about that!window.jpg.b131e7544bd1ccff4f7ba6b392562

Gotta do what you gotta do, right? Problem solved! 

In my Lawbre, the windows are glass, so after spending way too much time fretting about how to paint them, attempting to tape them, I gave into the advice from someone, maybe Teri at Lawbre, and just painted, not worrying about the glass. It scrapes off very handily with a razor blade! 

As for the 'working windows', I've had that challenge before, with my Thornhill, and me and working windows don't get along. The value vs the effort sort of thing. 

• 3 weeks later...