Shingle painting tips

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I want to paint my shingles "realistic" on a Victorian dollhouse.My plan was to mix an acrylic wash and apply it in a varying number of layers to get some variation. Don't know if this is a good idea. Here in Sweden we dont have many Victorian houses; is dark brown or black good choices?

I just googled "images:  Victorian house roofs" and got quite an eyeful of styles and colors.

21 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I just googled "images:  Victorian house roofs" and got quite an eyeful of styles and colors.

I followed your lead and did the same. I'm less and less happy with the copper roofing on the Beacon Hill's tower. I'm thinking to pull it off and do it in two sizes of rounded shingles to match the other roof sections, which are currently painted green. Thinking to paint everything a charcoal black with a bit of aging. Might be that an underlying disappointment in the copper roofing has been holding me back on this build. I really want to see it finished!

@Rolle I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but one never knows when or where inspiration will strike. :) 

I used dark gray stain to make a "slate look" on a house.  It's much easier to stain than paint shingles, especially, if the house is already shingled because you can get stain into all of the little spaces.  I just wouldn't put on a lot so that it doesn't soak all the through to the wood of the roof.  There are a variety of shades of gray and black stains.

Thanks for the tips. What is the actual difference between a stain and a wash? As I understand it stains are also water based normally.

A lot of commercially available stains for wood are oil-based, which is how I got started applying them with a teeshirt rag.  If you apply a dilute wash to unsealed wood it will stain it.

I used grey chalk spray paint to do my shingles on my victorian and then sprayed them again with granite spray in dry/white...you can see a picture in my album.  You can achieve the same results with acrylic paints, but I would start with a matte base in whatever color you choose and then add variations with lighter or darker shades of color. I just finished shingling my victorian roof and am very happy with the results.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Two new paintings - Autumn leaves.JPG
      By Samusa
      A couple of new paintings of Autumn scenes. I have two more to do and then our Jodi gets to pick one as part of a swap deal. She's building me a fabulous sink for the San Franciscan's basement and she gets an Autumn painting of her choosing in return.  
      The first one is my interpretation of this painting tutorial and the second one is my hilarious attempt at trying to reproduce this painting from the 30 second clip in the video.. lol.. There was a lot of hitting the pause button and a few magic words for good measure.  It didn't really turn out like the original which I prefer.. but I'm still happy with it. 
    • Lighthouse.JPG
      By Samusa
      Painted a lighthouse. Really enjoyed this one, though it fought me all the way to the end. I had to stop several times and come back to it.. I lost my mini painting mojo for a minute there... Managed to salvage it though, I think..... still haven't cleaned my house!... Cleaning today.. no painting.  
    • Barn by the Road.JPG
      By Samusa
      Back to barns.. at least it's not red this time... I moved away from Jane Font today and tried out another artist, Kevin Hill.. He doesn't give much instruction... his videos last about 15-20mins when Janes are over an hour.. But I just muddled through and tried to copy his technique.. This painting is meant to be done in oils.. but I just went for it with acrylics.. I really need to get better brushes and paint.. it would make life so much easier.. still having fun though.  
    • Painting on Canvas for miniaturists
      By Deb
      Hey all!  I know I've been MIA for a very long time, but, well, it's too much to go into.  Physically I'm still having problems and not able to do much of anything, least of all my minis, but there's been one thing keeping me sane.....I'm learning how to paint on canvas.  <wry grin>  All it requires is one hand and that's about all I've got left in the way of working parts, so it's my creative outlet.  The artist I follow is Jane Font, who provides free video tutorials on You Tube under the name "Painting With Jane".  Jane's a sweetheart and her teaching skills are so excellent that even on a bad brain day, I can easily follow along.  She makes it all simple with step by step instructions. 
      The reason I popped in is because this morning Jane released a surprise video............how to paint a micro miniature canvas!  Well, technically, it's more like 1:12/1:24/1:48 depending on where you hang it, but at 3/4" x 5/8", it could be a sofa sized painting for a micro mini.  
      I know that one of the biggest complaints we have as miniaturists is finding affordable art work for the walls of our dollhouses so when Jane released this, I begged her for more of this size!  Trust me, this is so simple that anyone can do it and you don't need to be able to draw or have the slightest bit of painting ability.  Just follow along and it comes out gorgeous!   She's using acrylic paints for this one, but you can use craft paints just as easily and we all have tiny brushes right at our fingertips, so give it a try!  You can paint it on cardstock, or you can get little 3x3 canvases at walmart and simply cut out the size you want.  I can't recommend this too highly because it's simple and easy and you can make gorgeous paintings for your dollhouses without spending a fortune!   
      Here's the link for Jane's mini "Golden Hour" sunset painting.  I have the life size version of this on my easel now so it was fun to just knock out the mini version in about ten minutes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Wc-hH9hLk&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=o87GMCQ1cJ2pnGkY-6     Hit like and subscribe so you don't miss any new ones she releases.  I was talking to Jane this morning and she said that if there's a big enough demand for it, she'll do more.  :-)  
      Hugs and hugs and hugs to you all!  I love and miss you more than you know!
    • Orchid Questions
      By nolephan
      Hi all,
      I'm working on the Orchid (TMF) my first house in 31 years. I was thinking about putting the bottom partition in so that the kitchen is on the left. I thought about extending the bay window in for a small table. For those of you who've done this house, would that work?(i.e. proper height)
      I really don't want to put printed wallpaper on all of the interior walls, and I've heard that you shouldn't paint them, so can I put up solid color cardstock instead?
      I'd read some posts about scoring the floor and staining to look like floor planks, but my shell is already together. Could I make floor planks with craft (popsicle) sticks?
      I'm having a hard time sanding the edges of pieces to get them really smooth. They seem to be rough no matter what I do, and on some of the narrow trim pieces, some of the back layer has actually fallen off. Am I doing something wrong?
      Thanks!