An awwww... moment

rodentraiser

9 hours ago, Samusa said:

don’t leave any food out on the counter!

We once had a tall golden retriever that helped himself to strip steaks sitting on the back of the stove ready to grill. He wasn't piggy about it as he snared one for the basset hound who was too short to do her own work!!

• Like 1

Our first beagle once snared some cookies waiting to be baked off the cookie sheet on the kitchen counter with his tongue; he cleared almost half a cookie sheet when I caught him; he was a normal size beagle and his back feet never left the floor (or else he could leap silently!).

10 hours ago, jrchob said:

We once had a tall golden retriever that helped himself to strip steaks sitting on the back of the stove ready to grill. He wasn't piggy about it as he snared one for the basset hound who was too short to do her own work!!

Haha, how sweet he helped his buddy out. :D 

Cubbies nickname is nacho... because if there are nachos left unattended he WILL steal them. No will power when it comes to those. When he was younger he used to sneak into the kitchen to check the counters for any stray food... caught him a couple of times and he was so embarrassed, I got the guilty submissive smile. Massive cheesy grin. Never had a dog that submissive smiled before Cubs.. it’s the funniest thing you ever did see. 

When I went home to visit one year, I brought my Doberman with me. He tried grabbing something off the counter (something he never did at home) and I went to lightly smack him on the muzzle. He yanked his head back and whacked it into the counter a lot harder than I was going to smack him. And then my mother told me I was mean to him. I love it when parents are questioning your parenting skills.

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

...I love it when parents are questioning your parenting skills.

My DM was the queen of nitpicking my parenting right up until the night we decided to take her up on her "go out and leave the kids with me" (at the time we just had two).  We went to the "big city" to dinner and a movie and when we came home we peeled what was left of my poor momma and poured her into bed and she never offered to babysit again; she also apologized for all the snide cracks she'd made about my lack of parenting skills (didn't stop her nitpicking). 

Oh, I am the queen of nitpicking when it comes to other parents' kids. I'm one of those who says "If those were MY kids...". LOL

But if training dogs helped me in one thing, it did teach me to follow up what I tell (not ask and no "please" in sight!) any kids to do after the FIRST time I tell them, not the second, third, or tenth time. Comes in real handy for babysitting.

But I did tell my mom that if she were that unhappy about how I was raising my dog, I would just let him steal the roast off the counter the next time. And there were crickets.