Flooring Question

TamaraLynn

I am trying to gather the supplies I need for my next step....I see so many beautiful wood floors with a shin, what do I use to bring out the shine in the stained flooring.  :-) I know I saw it several times as I was reading here and looking in the gallery, but now that I am ready to get the supplies - of course I can't find the info.  

Thanks!

TamaraLynn

• Like 1

Perfect timing. I finished my wood floors today. I use basswood strip boards. I glue them down. Sand them with my mouse sander so they are perfectly even and smooth. Remove all dust. Then stain them. Dry well. Polish with a paper towel and wipe away any dust. Then apply a satin polyurethane finish. Dry well. Lightly sand them with a piece of 220 grit sandpaper, remove any dust, then put on a second coat of polyurethane. 

Note: when applying polyurethane use a small 1 inch brush, only go over each swipe once. Avoid repeated swipes. 

0C9C12BE-79C0-47C3-BAF8-46F5B0ED8AE6.jpeg

• Like 7

For a recent wood floor I did, I used shellac.  This was in part because the actual floor on which I am basing my room box was finished with shellac, and in part because I love the soft shine it gives.  After thoroughly sanding, give one thin coat of shellac.  Wait one hour and sand with 0000 steel wool.  Give another thin coat of shellac and wait four hours.  Sand again with 0000 steel wool.  Give another thin coat of shellac, wait at least 12 hours, and do a final sand with 0000 steel wool. 

5c3d0f044d78c_FloorCloseUp.jpg.4b3d311f5

• Like 6

Great ideas everyone! I am using narrow strips for my floors and I have my stain....I had wondered about staining them first, or is it easier to do it after it is laid? I have to pick up the polyurethane yet. I also discussed it with hubby who is a contractor. It's nice to have his input too. I think I have the other supplies already. Does anyone use a Finishing Paste Wax? 

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas!

Definitely a lot of sanding to do but I love the results! I'm trying to get my ducks in a row as I work on the staircase for my Beacon Hill. I am looking for just the right wallpaper now.   It is truly a lesson in patience....to not get ahead of myself. 

TamaraLynn

This is not a very good picture but if you look at the left edge of this floor you can see the sheen created by Paste Wax. This was buffed twice with steel wool sandings between each application. I really like the soft glow that wax creates ...although I think this floor could maybe use another coat.

sizeddown.jpg

• Like 1

Miniature furniture usually doesn't require the same cleaning that full-size 1:1 furniture does; the dollhouse itself protects the contents somewhat.  There is a set of mini attachments for the vacuum cleaner that you can get from HBS, I think that Micro-Mark also carries them.

9 hours ago, kokomo said:

This is not a very good picture but if you look at the left edge of this floor you can see the sheen created by Paste Wax. This was buffed twice with steel wool sandings between each application. I really like the soft glow that wax creates ...although I think this floor could maybe use another coat.

sizeddown.jpg

This floor is stunning. So many ideas, not enough time. Lol I think I will do some testing to see what my Beacon Hill wants. I can see this is going to be addicting!

• Like 1

Wow these are amazing ideas! Repairing my Van Buren my mom made back in 1978 and she had just stained the floor as it came. No extra wood on top or anything. There’s so many options now I guess. She had cross stitched pretty little rugs to lay on the floor. It was awesome. 

5 hours ago, Rebecca Williams said:

She had cross stitched pretty little rugs to lay on the floor. It was awesome.

Do you still have the rugs? THAT would be awesome. :) 

• Like 1

Actually if you have enough of those lovely hand-stitched rugs she made, why cover?  You can just take a cork-backed ruler and a stylus (or dried up ballpoint pen) and scribe lines for boards into the wood.  I've done that in a few of my houses:

pantry.JPG

KathieB's views:  the bar

I cut iron-on wood veneer strips into scale board lengths and lay them onto the stained floor and then use the same color stain to color the laid floor:

parlor 2.JPG

• Like 1