Hofco House, Inc. Homestead House KW142

Lexie

Hi! Today I found a Hofco house helping my grandma move some things around her attic. I always wanted to build my own dollhouse so I took it home and built it! Now I'm very curious about the company Hofco and the house that she had. I would love to know any information you have about the company, how long they were in business? Who were the owners? really anything and everything you can tell me. Thank You!  

Some time ago I had seen an article about the company with a photo.....lemme see if I can find it.... in the meantime, maybe one of our other awesome "dollhouse knowledge wizards" will chime in here with a link to the article I am thinking of!   

Hofco made dollhouses using "cabinet grade" wood- in other words, high quality materials!  Their designs are comparable to the Real Good Toys houses- not as 'intricate' as the Greenleaf ones, but good and sturdy and great for play houses, with good size rooms.  

Will look forward to seeing photos!  

About all I know is the name Hofco came from Holweck Furniture Company. So I imagine they started off making furniture and went into dollhouses as a sideline. Back in July, one of our members had a Hofco house and posted a picture of the bottom which showed the name, address, and phone number before their name was officially changed. I hope it's OK to repost that pic. It shows the company was in Maryland at the time. I'd love to see the article, Jackie!

IMG_20180616_125544.thumb.jpg.75b7633a55

I haven't heard of the Hofco backstory....so I was intrigued. Googled...seems they only ever made dollhouses! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/travel/1981/06/07/in-woodsboro-you-are-a-world-apart/f49e6a1e-3d2e-4948-9055-ab58222e9670/?utm_term=.a9ad705327b9

"A few doors down, at the site of the original Smith drugstore, is another unique business you shouldn't miss, run by a tycoon of 21. Robert Holweck and his four employes make up the Holweck Furniture Co., a misleading title because what they make is kits to assemble palatial doll houses, some of which retail for as much as $1,000. Jewels sought after by collectors, they take from four to 250 hours to assemble and range from a horse stable with four stalls to a deluxe country manor with formal dining room, bay windows, French doors, shingles applied individually, flooring and two stairways. Every part is hand carved and the result is far too fine for any doll."

• 1 year later...