My First Dollhouse!

Hi! I'm Sofia (24, from Washington State) and for my birthday today my mom got me my first dollhouse (a Greenleaf Corona Orchird). When I was younger, I loved playing with dollhouses, and now I'm really excited to try and build (and decorate!) my own! I would love any advice from veterans on how to make detailed and realistic houses! I'm so glad to have found a communitty dedicated to this endeavor!

-MiniatureSofia

7 hours ago, MiniatureSofia said:

I would love any advice from veterans on how to make detailed and realistic houses! I'm so glad to have found a community dedicated to this endeavor!

Welcome to the forum, Sofia. As you work on your house, your eye will adjust to the small scale and you will begin to see possibilities in all kinds of things. For example, the plastic single-serve creamers make realistic waste baskets and lamp shades; pressed cardboard egg cartons make grand stones and bricks. Keep in mind that  "realistic" is the result of a deft application of the "smoke and mirrors" approach. It doesn't have to be real, it only needs to look real. :) 

Dedicated? Absolutely! (Bordering on obsessed at times. :D )

Enlarging on what Kathie said, you will find yourself saving all sorts of "table trash" items, buttons, broken jewelry, old clothes (especially silk & cotton shirts and old neckties, which make outstanding upholstery) and a plethora of odds & ends.  I blame Helen Ruthberg and Patricia King; if you are ever lucky enough to find any of their dollhouse mini-making books, snatch them up and don't let anyone "borrow" them until they have to pry them from your cold, dead fingers!