Maui

WyckedWood

Ok I’ve been doing a lot of reading and other research about Maui so if you give me your recommends I’ll have a better idea of what you’re referring to and where it is. We’ll be there for 7 days, I don’t want to be go-go-go the entire time but I don’t want to miss anything either :) Were renting a Jeep and staying in Wailea. 

Im interested in: 

Mammas Fish House. Is it worth it? Heard it’s $$$$. Which is fine for special occasion but on the other hand I’ve heard it’s overrated. Looks so cool tho. 

Back road to Hana? Have you ever gone this way instead of turning around at Hana? Opinions on Road to Hana? Must see stops? 

Different beaches you like?

Quirky eclectic shops? 

Favorite places to eat? 

Must try food dishes? 

Haleakala. Did you hike there? Which hike? Planning sunset. 

Have you been to the lavender gardens? Is it on the way to the crater, so both could be done on same day? 

Any info appreciated! I realize there’s an overwhelming amount of info online and I have a good guide book but just wanted opinions from people I know will tell me like it is. Getting excited in spite of my flying issues :) 

3 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Haleakala. Did you hike there? Which hike? Planning sunse

We did a downhill bike ride around the mountain, approx 26 miles......They drive you up to the summit ha, ha. It was neat because one side of the mountain would be raining, then the other side would be sunny. I've heard the sunrise is spectacular. I don't know about the sunset.

We also visited Honolulu Hattie's it is a gift store/ tourist trap but they have free shuttles to the store. It is a good souvenir store.

The hubs and I rode the Virginia Creeper Trail from the top of White Mountain at the NC state line back to Abingdon, VA, a bit over 34.5 miles, on our old Cannondale tandem bike, but it was only downhill to Damascus, VA, the halfway point; because it was an old railroad grade, going back uphill to Abingdon wasn't so bad, only we had to stop at every farm gate and dismount to walk the bike through.

Kaanapali has some fun shopping some expensive but there's a small area in the old town that is more local like. 

Kapalua is not far form Kaanapali and has a cute small town very good snorkeling too.

Snorkeling Black Rock Kaanapali has always been great fun I even did the dive there. For the dive you just learn in a pool for an hour then go out . I really didn't think I'd be able to do it but here's the tip a local gave me go under the water and count to 10 then start swimming under water. Worked like a charm prier to counting to 10 I was popping back up in 2 seconds and thinking it was an eternity. Can you say 2 second panic attack I guess the deal is counting and getting to 10 will calm a person down worked wonders for me.

More Snorkling : there's a place called baby beach if your a first timer or don't feel like a strong swimmer . I have a friend who doesn't swim at all and was happy she did this one .

Road to Hana and Black sand beach : Take the most direct route we did the drive around the whole island thing once and it was at least 2 hours or more of me and the kids sleeping while hubby drove.  It just looked all the same, a Hawaii desert. OH YEAH make sure it's open as it can be closed because of flash floods.  

Wale Watching: I think it's a good time of year for this hopefully you will get lucky and see some from the shore.

We've hiked a number of places but can't remember the names all great 

food: I have not eaten at Mammas Fish House but have friends that raved about it. 

Crater and Lavender Gardens : We have done this and loved it . My hubby is a Gardner and we do a lot of gardens when traveling.

Parasailing: I say save your money  

4 well drive : Unless you love doing this it was ok I did get to see an old sugar cane ranch but boy did you get dirty with red dirt actually threw away my closes. ( we took old clothes with us )

My Favorite guidebook Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook they have one for every island 

Have Fun bring some sweaters. 

Thanks Nell! That’s the book I have! Also following some very informative fb groups and good old trip advisor. There an app called Maui gypsyguide (something like that) that works offline even and it is supposed to be really helpful. 

I appreciate the tips! Yes I had read the crater is very cold, I’ll prepare for that. 

I actually made the mistake of asking on the fb group about ghost hunting/ haunted locations to visit and one of the locals took offense. Like serious offense. It was kind of threatening and I was thinking hmmmm...better be careful, I didn’t realize there was some serious animosity toward tourists among some locals.  I’ve been doing some research about the Hawaiian history and I think it’s fascinating. I’ve never looked in to it before. Basically the entire island is probably haunted. People told me about developers going right over ancient burial grounds. So sad what the natives have been through. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned, it was an amazing trip and I loved every second of it, what a beautiful, magical place. We got lucky weather wise, but on the last day they had a huge storm that produced the snow on Haleakala. It was really cool watching the waves that day though.  The flight going home was delayed and (long story short) we got to stay an extra night and full day at Grand Wailea courtesy of Delta airlines. The “bonus” day was beautiful weather, in Wailea at least. I took so many.. countless photos and videos so I will be able to get my Maui fix when I need it. Now back to reality and snow and cold :)