Glencroft Dry Fit

marcia802

Hi All --

Newbie here...just finished the first dry fit of Section A -- floors and walls of my Glencroft.  Feels like a great accomplishment! 

I'm seeking advice from you pros on whether I should try to dry fit the whole thing, then take it apart and put it back together, or if it makes sense to disassemble this part, prime, then put it back together and glue.  I've sanded and trimmed slots and tabs to get a better fit.  But  I have discovered there's quite a bit of warping...nothing that some clamps, arm strength and patience can't handle when it comes time to glueing.   This didn't prevent me from getting a clear understanding of how the pieces fit together, and where I need to address the warping. But I worry that the current dry fit is so far from square that any attempt to play with the next stages will be futile.  I re-read the next sections of instructions and it seems that the elements already in place from Section A should be true/square in order to best accomplish Sections B and beyond.

I know there are some areas where I need to consider the finishes (paint, paper, etc).  I'm not too worried about those, I've worked in very small, confined room box spaces before and I have a good idea about sequencing those tasks. It's the actual construction that I need help with.

Your thoughts?   Hope my question made sense....  Thanks!!

Marcia

It's been 13 years since I built my Glencroft (where did the time go?  I just installed beer taps a couple of months ago!).  I don't worry about square & plumb in the dry fit, so long as the tabs fit the slots and the whole thing can be squared with hands and/ or clamps.  I scribed and stained the floors after the dry fit and before gluing, but it seems to me I masked, primed & painted after gluing everything except the outer stair walls & chimney, which I worked on before gluing them to the rest of the house.  I did all of the exterior finishing last, I remember.