Repairing an old Van Buren

Rebecca Williams

I had missed Holly’s post about makin a box frame to fit inside the existing door. So she and I are thinking along the same lines. My example requires taking two pieces of thin strip wood; one for the top ad one for the threshold and pinning to those, then glueing the pinned trim and door into the existing frame. 

I ended up using the top 1/4” of regular straight pins because the head of the pin prevents  shifting.

photo 1 predrill holes with a large pin

photo 2 and 3 insert 1/4” top of a straight pin into strip wood and door

photo 4 insert and glue door into opening.

photo 5 door swings perfectly and life is good again.

2223091D-D2DE-46CA-B994-89A7942DC1AE.jpeg

23E0CC3E-9630-45CE-9633-1013F65E5D1C.jpeg

F998F2F4-F164-48F7-9E0B-4B4D7C8E2C1C.jpeg

636167E7-B907-4677-9BEB-48C64C158E47.jpeg

16AD55E3-A6E7-4A2D-B3FF-8E5450E11365.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sable said:

I had missed Holly’s post about makin a box frame to fit inside the existing door. So she and I are thinking along the same lines. My example requires taking two pieces of thin strip wood; one for the top ad one for the threshold and pinning to those, then glueing the pinned trim and door into the existing frame. 

I ended up using the top 1/4” of regular straight pins because the head of the pin prevents  shifting.

photo 2 insert 1/4” top of a straight pin into strip wood and door

photo 3 insert and glue door into opening.

154A6DAA-E381-4E11-9657-071FE84925C1.jpeg

Wow! you’re amazing what awesome details!!!!!!!! I’m in town today ( I live out in the boonies) so I’ll definitely be all about trying this tomorrow. What a relief-I think I can do this! I’ll keep y’all posted! 

Well now, I just don’t believe that! Y’all have such great ideas and experience with all this tedious stuff- I don’t know what I’d do if I hadn’t stumbled upon this site!  I’m going to start first thing in the morning. Just now getting home and woke up at 4 am thinking about these darn doors! 

Do you recommend letting the pins all dry overnight tomorrow before setting in the doorframe? 

48 minutes ago, Rebecca Williams said:

Do you recommend letting the pins all dry overnight tomorrow before setting in the doorframe? 

I don’t understand the question. Don’t glue the pins. You won’t be able to move the door. Please make sure you see all five steps since I’ve edited the initial photos. I’m going to PM my phone number to you in case you have questions.

• Like 1

Joanne, it IS easy!  I had wracked my poor old brain for years trying to pin-hinge directly into the floor and top of the door opening, when I recalled the Houseworks doors I have used in the past, which have the door pin-hinged to a surrounding box - DOH!:doh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sable said:

She doesn’t need to make the box, just add the trim to the top and bottom. I just made the box to represent her existing opening. 

That also makes sense; the box just worked better for me to mount in the bench vise to pound in the pins.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sable said:

photo 2 and 3 insert 1/4” top of a straight pin into strip wood and door

photo 4 insert and glue door into opening.

photo 5 door swings perfectly and life is good again.

F998F2F4-F164-48F7-9E0B-4B4D7C8E2C1C.jpeg

636167E7-B907-4677-9BEB-48C64C158E47.jpeg

16AD55E3-A6E7-4A2D-B3FF-8E5450E11365.jpeg

Sable, I had an idea about using double edged trim so the step into each room is flush with the floor for smoother transition. Of course my baseboard moulding won’t work but I do like the idea of it not being raised. Oh well... I doubt gluing the two baseboard edges together to only then Preston a hole for the pin would not be as stable as your original piece of transition would on the bottom. But if I had a decorative board on each side to do this I might try. Does that make sense? 

23 minutes ago, Rebecca Williams said:

Okay!! Man can I make things long! I have a small closet door in but I’m hearing a clicking noise? What have I done wrong before I move on? 

You probably need to sand the side edges of the door so they are rounded rather than square. The square corners are probably catching on the frame. If already in place slide a piece of sandpaper in between the door and the frame. I had eliminated a photo of this step from the above because I was out of photo space.

On 2/15/2019, 9:23:02, Sable said:

Yep. 

Okay!! Thank you,Thank you, Thank you!! Doors are in!!! Sides are on!! Front us setting and tomorrow I head out of town for my nieces spelling bee! I need a break! Haha!!! Wall paper in front needs to go in along with baseboards and crown molding then the task of building the 3rd floor and restoring that whole mess!!!! 

Man, I feel like progress has been made- FINALLY! Yes!!!

• Like 1

I’m so happy the doors are working out for you and that you can move on. Hope your niece does well. It reminds me of my sister competing in the 1969 Florida state spelling bee. I think she came in 4th place. Her losing word was “encyst”. Funny how I still remember that.

• 1 year later...