"Tack Glue" instructions ??

marcia802

I'm kinda feeling like I'm learning a new language as I decode the directions for my Glencroft.  :)

I know what dry fit means.  I know what glueing means.  But what does it mean to "Tack Glue" ?? 'm finding the instructions quite confusing.  If I'm supposed to glue lightly, and then go back and reinforce everything, how do I do that without taking those pieces apart? 

What exactly do the direction say?

Tacky Glue is a kind of glue, like Aileen's Tacky Glue

Tack glue might mean something similar to 'tack weld'....It is a way of getting things to temporarily stick together, the tack can easily be broken if things are not aligned correctly, then you go back and add a bead of glue or weld the complete seam...

Usually we use masking tape to dry fit the houses, then go back and permanently glue after we have assured proper fit etc....

Hope this helps

~~~Carrie~~~~

• Like 2

Thank you Carrie,

In the instructions, "tack glue" is  a direction (verb), for a series of assembly tasks. It's not referring to the "tacky glue" (noun).  Further on in the directions, it says to permanently glue everything that's been "tack glued".

I agree with you, I think it does mean to create a temporary hold, but I was confused because I have already done the dry fit, and it seemed that "tack glue" was a similar step.

Do I need to "tack glue" if I've already dry fit the pieces?  Sorry if my question is not clear....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, marcia802 said:

...Do I need to "tack glue" if I've already dry fit the pieces?  Sorry if my question is not clear....

I don't; once it fits in dry fit I do whatever other prep needed (depends on accessibility once it's glued as to how much) I go ahead and glue.

33 minutes ago, marcia802 said:

Do I need to "tack glue" if I've already dry fit the pieces? 

Probably not. Depends on whether the pieces need to be held in place while the glue is drying. You can "tack glue" the components to be sure of a perfect fit. Even after I glue the pieces together, I run a bead of glue along the join. I run a dampened finger along the seam line to smooth the bead of glue and encourage it to squoosh into the crevice. Capillary action draws it in to reinforce the join.