Inherited a collection, and I'm overwhelmed !!

9 posts in this topic

Hello and help!!

Lol, not lol...I'm completely overwhelmed!! I inherited about 500 different miniature items...no houses or rooms, hardly any furniture, lots of handmade really cool stuff, different scales...I don't know what to do or where to start. I began cataloguing about a year ago, and was so overwhelmed with the quantity and variety that I tapped out. I have tried to figure out what my Mom's plans were , but we dont see what she did. Help, ideas, advice, guidance needed and appreciated. I have some REALLY interesting items, with amazing detail and can only imagine what she had in store.

Welcome to the little family, Rashonda.  Did your mother ever talk about her minis?  It might be fun to build a roombox or even a house to hold her collection and serve as a memorial.  Once you have made five posts you can make an album in the Gallery here to showcase all your goodies.

1 person likes this

Hi Shonda, and welcome to the forum. What a wonderful challenge, at least in the eyes of a miniaturist. :) 

Once you have made 5 posts, you can open an album in the forum Gallery. I suggest you photograph groups of similar items -- food, lamps, rugs, plants,pictures, vases, etc. -- and post them in your gallery. Once we can see what you have, we can help you understand what your Mom's plans were. Or maybe not. Maybe she bought on impulse. I'm guilty myself of buying something that catches my eye. I tell myself I'll use it in a future build.  

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, KathieB said:

...I'm guilty myself of buying something that catches my eye. I tell myself I'll use it in a future build.  

Me, too.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Sable said:

Contact Karen Barone at Mini Estates to consign them:

https://www.etsy.com/people/karenbarone203

What a great web site. I found a pair of antique balance scales for the 1880s Bohemian Inn kitchen that very much resemble the scales used by my Bohemian grandparents when they ran a tavern and restaurant in the early 1900s. Of course I then had to browse all 1200+ items, but I managed to control myself.

2 people like this

I’m happy for you Kathie. Karen was a member of our club in Boca and she originally set up an Etsy site to sell items donated to our club with the proceeds going back to our nonprofit.  Unfortunately, she had to move back north and started her Mini Estates consignment shop. So she has a keen eye for interesting items and pricing.

2 people like this

Welcome to the Forum....Im sorry for your loss and that she didn't leave direction for you to follow...I, too am guilty of purchasing many things for future use and with your post resize my kids wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do.....If you're looking to sell or value it, Sable's comment is great, checking on Ebay is great too....best of luck to you.

1 person likes this

Hi Rashonda

1 person likes this