Selkie's Garfield House where to start?!?!

Hello all,

I'm Selkie's eldest grandduagther. I know many of you new her well through this site and I first wanted to say thank you for all the nice comments last year. I know it would warm her heart to know how highly you thought of her. For me she was the one of the most influential people in my life, because of that I have made it my mission to finished her Garfield house. I can't mash like she was planning to do because it wouldn't fit in my house; however I want to do it justice. 

Where should I start?

Do I run electrical first then flooring and wallpaper?

How do you plan out where to put outlits?

Do finish the outside and work my way in? 

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

Welcome home, dear heart!  Your sweet grandma is sorely missed and you are most welcome here.  I am giving you a big cyber {hug}.  I work from the ground floor up and the inside out; I don't usually electrify my builds, but many here do and will weigh in directly to advise you.

Mikayla -- Twinkle, it is so good to see you here! Your grandmother would be so pleased that you are taking on her Garfield. You and your brother and sister have already made some wicked good miniatures. I'm sure you will do a fine job with help from the wonderful folks here.

As to what order to do things, it varies. You can't go wrong if you apply a little common sense. I've not made the Garfield myself, but I am aware that there are some places that are hard to reach once everything is glued in place. Those places should be wired, painted and/or papered before the final gluing. 

As to where to put outlets, that's a good question. Did your Grandmother have the furniture and lights for the Garfield? I like to arrange the furniture and lights in the empty rooms. Then I can mark on the walls or ceiling where the lights should go. If you are using tape wire, be sure to watch the video Sable posted above. It will give you  some good ideas. Also, if you are not sure where lamps will go in a room, run a strip of tape parallel to the floor and one inch above it. Even if you paper over it, you can find it again with the tester and add push-in outlets to plug in the lamps.

There is a lot to think about, but just remember that you can't make any mistake that can't be fixed. (Don't ask me how I know this. lol)

Hugs from your Greenleaf Granny. :) 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your advice everyone! I'm not quite as talent has my cousins Twinkle and her brother and sister. I'm the oldest by five years so I haven't done a dollhouse with her since I was a little kid and never one this complex! I'm more of seamstress (taught by her of course) than dollhouse builder. I did paint what was going to be in "my room" in this house but that was about it. 

I watched the lighting video and I'm not as intimated. I think I'll have to start to lay some thing out. She does have some furniture that I know of. We just haven't got to those boxes yet! 

Welcome Mikaela! :wave: it’s gtreat to see you here and to hear that you are going to continue the family miniature hobby. Your Grandma was so lovely. She is missed around these parts. 

Hi Mikayla, I haven't been very active lately but happened to log in and saw your post. I have a Garfield Dollhouse albums with 253 photos of constructing it. I don't know how much of your house is built already but maybe the photos can help you. Whatever you do, try to make lighting channels (if using wire ) , wallpaper and flooring first before putting the walls up. Some things you won't be able to do that way but most of the house I think. run your wiring on the roof for your lights up there before doing your shingles. Mine isn't done but if I could do it over I would do the wallpaper and floorings first for sure. The second floor bedroom on the right is a doozie back there by the closet and the kitchen doorway walk in side are very difficult to reach once the house is up.  I will try to post a link to the album below or if it doesn't work just go to my user ID in the upper right corner of this page, do the drop down and click on Profile and then click on Albums and then the 2nd album is the Garfield. you will want to start with the oldest photos on page 6, then 5, then 4 etc. Have fun! Cheryl

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, Selkie's Granddaughter said:

Hello all,

I'm Selkie's eldest grandduagther. I know many of you new her well through this site and I first wanted to say thank you for all the nice comments last year. I know it would warm her heart to know how highly you thought of her. For me she was the one of the most influential people in my life, because of that I have made it my mission to finished her Garfield house. I can't mash like she was planning to do because it wouldn't fit in my house; however I want to do it justice. 

Where should I start?

Do I run electrical first then flooring and wallpaper?

How do you plan out where to put outlits?

Do finish the outside and work my way in? 

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Hi,  I am building the Garfield as well. I have decorated all the walls and intend to hide my wires behind my fireplaces and run them under the false floor. As I haven`t finished it I am hoping this is the way to go.