Attic Mystery Find - Help Identify

Sylvie_Sobel

Hello everyone, it's been a few months since we last spoke - I had some things that took much too much of my time and energy (and tears and sweat, etc.). 

Since then, though, I built a simple room box for myself for Christmas (I need to post a fireplace I made).

My family spent last weekend cleaning out the attics of a great uncle & aunt who are no longer with us. In the attic they found two dollhouses. I didn't get to see one which was supposedly finished and complete (it was kept for another) but I asked to rescue this incomplete piece from the dumpster. 

Not sure of when it was bought or how complete it is, but I know it will be coming home to me soon for some love and care. I'm excited for it as the build is different from some pieces I've seen.

received_1652320388202646.jpeg

received_302135450647869.jpeg

received_2075359852754664.jpeg

It is the Allison. Or the Whitney. Or the Cambridge. They are all the same, but if you are searching for ideas on the internet, knowing the 3 different names can make it easier to find different views.

I am not positive, but the house may have been known by another name as well. It's been awhile since I have built one.

So glad you could rescue this house.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sylvie_Sobel said:

Not sure of when it was bought or how complete it is,

Check to see if it may have been built using hot glue. If it was, the best thing to do is take it apart and put it back together using wood glue. Hot glue will deteriorate after a while. You don't want the house to deconstruct on its own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Check to see if it may have been built using hot glue. If it was, the best thing to do is take it apart and put it back together using wood glue. Hot glue will deteriorate after a while. You don't want the house to deconstruct on its own.

Talking to my mom, it was probably put together in the early 80s by my great Uncle for his Granddaughter. I'll see if it has hot glue - was helping a friend put hers back together & found that rubbing alcohol seems to work well on breaking it down.

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

You have a nice little house and it can be made it into anything. It is even  wired for electrical. And, the wallpaper is coming off by itself...Looks to be a fun project. Congratulations.

I was wondering if that was what the tape was for, I haven't gotten to see it in person yet, but it would be cool if it was.

The house had been in an attic for more than 30 years, I'm sure the paper is crumbling, ahaha!

If it's built with hot glue a blow dryer will soften it to pull apart and scrape it off with an old table knife or putty knife.  Priming the wood before painting or wallpapering will help considerably.  Basswood and matboard are both excellent for making replacement trims.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...