Pierce - Judith

Judithmartin

We purchased a Pierce house around late 1988.  I haven’t located the receipt yet but have others dated at that time.  My husband and I were renting and this was our project.  We put it partially together but started to realize we wanted to improve parts of it.  After constructing the stairway, we decided to scrap the OEM one and built another from scratch using the other one as a pattern.  Next we decided change the door from the kitchen to a purchased one.  Next we decided to purchase working windows all around the house.  Next we decided to add a 2 story room off the parlor.  This took a couple of years until we bought our own house, resulting in almost no extra time for our lovely dollhouse.  We completed exterior Victorian (3 color) paint on the lapped siding, reworked and painted all windows, new trim and capstones, new front doors with trim.  Inside kitchen and parlor were papered with wooden wainscoting and trim.  Kitchen flooring and wooden flooring in dining room and parlor were completed.  After 2002, very little was done but the house was taken care of and survived moves from MI, 2 moves in AZ, and now resides at the side of our great room in TX.  We are now renting again and have more time.  Back to our dollhouse and eager to see it completed.  I kept a notebook with lots of notes and sketches, but still a huge challenge to recall the plans from so long ago.  Currently, I have glued the addition wall between original parlor and new family room and preparing to wire the electrical runs.  Kitchen has flooring and cabinets completed.  We still have so much left to do, but will devote more quality time to the house.  I hope to see what others have done to their Pierce houses.

2 hours ago, Judithmartin said:

Next we decided to add a 2 story room off the parlor.  

Hi Judith. Welcome to the forum! I'm eager for you to make 5 posts so you can open an album and share photos. I have plans in my head to add a two-story room off the parlor that will become a kitchen (downstairs) and a guest room and/or bathroom (upstairs) in the Pierce that I am turning into an 1880s Bohemian inn and restaurant. Would love to see how you did it.

Hi Mike,

I have searched around the GL site and don't see any visuals on constructing the Pierce dh beyond instructions included in box.  My house was abandoned decades ago with first floor, most exterior walls that have clapboard and paint completed.  We installed custom windows and all exterior frames are painted.  Somewhere after the beginning, we made a custom stairwell and decided to add on a 2 story room off the parlor/br wall.  I got stalled with the wiring, second floor and addition.  Somehow I could not find much of my own instruction on how to construct the addition.  Working on that now, tediously fitting it in.