New to making

Alittlebird

I just wanted to say hello. I just ordered my first doll house kit and want to make a couple for me. My mother was very into miniatures back in the 70s but when she died young I gave away everything. Now I want to do a couple although I really don't need another hobby. It's been that long since I even helped her. :) I decided to start small and got the half size Buttercup - actually I didn't realize it was half size but in the end I think it is a good place to start to see if I like it. I figure I can always sell the small one prior to building a bigger one. My goal is to do the Orchid.

I am hoping that all will go well. I will peruse the forums for tips. It's been far too long and I am really a complete beginner now.

Hi, Anne. Welcome to the forum. It is interesting that like many of us, exposure to miniatures in our younger years brings us back to them later in life.  The Orchid is not a difficult build. Several of us cut our miniature teeth on an Orchid. Doing the half scale Buttercup and then moving up to the Orchid will give you a good sense of which scale appeals more to you. Ask all the questions you like as you meet challenges -- and you will have questions, we all do. 

When you have made 5 posts you can open an album in the Gallery to post photos of your progress. We like eye candy. :)  A lot of progress photos also gives you a place to look when you hit the inevitable, "Now how did I do that?" on a future build. When you begin building, start a thread dedicated to the Buttercup both for sharing and asking questions rather than starting new topics. It's helpful to have all conversation about a house in a single thread, both for you and for someone else who comes along with questions about a Buttercup. 

Welcome, and I look forward to seeing what you do with your half scale Buttercup. I build primarily 1:24 (also know as half scale) and especially love the Buttercup model because there is so much you can do with it. I’ve built three: Tudor Cottage, Maus Haus, and Swift Cottage. Half scale is a wonderful scale especially if you are short on space. I fell in love with this scale with the first kit I built in 1:24. :) 

I am glad to know that people like the smaller scale Buttercup. It arrived today - that was quick - but i have a lot of decisions to make this week before i start. I think this one i will paint so i need to decide on colors. I am anxious to get started. 

Thank you all for the welcome!