Are laser cut kits worth the extra dollars?

Jmer

When I finish my current project (and first house), I'd like to start on another right away. I'm considering a laser cut kit, since they have better reviews, but they cost more and it looks like more of the Greenleaf laser cut kits are in 1:24 size and I would prefer 1:12. Thoughts, opinions, ponderances... on laser cut?

Greenleaf also has 1:12 scale laser cut kits: https://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/laser-cut-dollhouse-kits/

Anything that doesn't say "half scale" in the title should be 1:12 scale.

Have you ever built a die cut kit? If yes, you know how much work it takes to sand and prepare the wood to make it look nice. The laser cut kits don't require any of that prep work. I would always choose laser cut over die cut if I could.

The house I'm working on now is a 1:48 scale from Laser Dollhouse Designs and I absolutely love it. Like Emily says, there is no sanding or prep work involved which is nice for a change. I'm not sure what type of wood it is but it's light, sturdy, and good quality and I'll bet that Greenleaf uses the same type of wood or similar. My husband bought this one for me for Xmas and, you're right, it was at a steep cost (something like $170-) but I am so happy with it. Totally worth it, in my opinion.

The extra cost is probably due to the expense of laser cutting and the wood involved (luan plywood die stamps easier).  Other than cleaning the soot off the edges there is almost no prep work involved with a laser cut kit.  I don't mind building the die-cut kits, because I tend to zone out doing the tedious stuff and have productive conversations with the house.

I decided for my first ever house to use a laser kit a 1:24 Buttercup. I have made other things using diecut material and I will admit the laser is really nice. I do wish they had all of the houses in laser although I suspect they will get there.

I’m currently building the 1:12 Diana laser cut and it is a DREAM. The wood is beautiful and everything is very clean and easy to work with. 

I really like the idea of the Beacon Hill house but I’m concerned that I wouldn’t like to go to a non laser cut kit. 

45 minutes ago, iamjillian said:

I’m concerned that I wouldn’t like to go to a non laser cut kit. 

It is definitely a different experience. Personally, I don't mind the extra sanding and/or filling required by the die-cut kits. You may want to try a simple die-cut kit, like a bird house, to see how you like it. The Beacon Hill has a lot of small, fiddly bits of trim that need to be sanded and/or filled to look their best.