Dressing my 1:12 scale BJD

Hello,

I've got a really pretty 1:12 scale ball-jointed doll coming from Zjakazumi. She has grey eyes and pale blond hair. I'm thinking of making her into a Good Witch version of Sarah Jessica Parker's character. A fitted corset with tall black witch boots, and a hooded robe over everything.

But: where do I begin? I've never dressed a doll before. This is only my second adult doll in 1:12 scale.

Thank you, Everyone!

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I have Sue Atkinson's book:

Image result for books about dressing dollhouse dolls in 1:12 scale

The patterns have regular seam allowances, so I would suggest tracing all your parts onto tissue first and fitting those to the doll before cutting the fabric.

Thank you! These are the types of beautiful clothing that I want to create.

Tissue first? That's a good tip. I would never have thought of that.

2 hours ago, HalfScaleDollhouseLOVER said:

...Tissue first? That's a good tip. I would never have thought of that.

All 1:12 dolls are not created equal; the first ones I dressed were a bisque couple I bought at Raggedy-D's when they were a brick&mortar store in Gainesville, FL, and I had to alter some of the patterns a goodly  bit.  Now I make most of my own little folks and all sorts of body types & sizes, so I tend to use the patterns as suggestions.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019, 4:48:56, havanaholly said:

All 1:12 dolls are not created equal; the first ones I dressed were a bisque couple I bought at Raggedy-D's when they were a brick&mortar store in Gainesville, FL, and I had to alter some of the patterns a goodly  bit.  Now I make most of my own little folks and all sorts of body types & sizes, so I tend to use the patterns as suggestions.

@havanaholly how do you make your dolls? Ceramic? Polymer clay?

I am just getting started making dolls but I’m probably better at making the clothes than the actual dolls. Always looking for tips or ideas.

• Like 1

Drea, try looking up Dana Burton doll tutorials on Pinterest. She also has a website, Facebook groups, io group, etc, so her tutorials are easily found with a google images search. She’s really good at the DIVA look and probably has something that would inspire you. She teaches a way of doll dressing that uses very little if any actual sewing, seams are mostly glued. 

The book Holly suggested is awesome for dressmaking, but it’s kind of the opposite from Dana’s technique, in that it’s suggested everything is hand sewn. Different schools of thought, sewing vs. gluing. I usually do some of both, but I love to sew. Also I’m kind of a spaz when it comes to glue and I don’t like to get it near the silk I use for dressmaking. You could find a free corset pattern if you just look on Pinterest for 1:12 scale dressmaking. 

• Like 2

I'm not certain which method (sewing or gluing) I'm going to choose, but I like the idea of both like you, Wycked! That way the clothing will deal and lay right because of the hours pieces, but also be realistic where it needs to be from the sewing.

Dana Burton?

I shall find her and see about learning from her. Thank you.

I'm fact I want to thank everybody! I don't know where I would be without the people on this forum.