Awen

Hello Everyone,

My name is Awen.  I have been wanting to build a dollhouse for a longtime and bought the Orchid several months ago.  I haven’t started it—kind of intimidated especially after reading the instructions last night.  Hopeful that I will get going on it.

Hi Jenny. Welcome to the forum. :) 

Many of us cut our mini teeth on the Orchid. Don't let the instructions intimidate you. Take it one step at a time. A good way to start is to match the parts sheets to the schematic drawing. Use a pencil and mark each piece of wood before you punch it out. Once the parts have names, they are not so intimidating. :)  

If you look around the forum for getting started posts, you'll learn not to use hot glue for assembly; it will break down over time and the house will fall apart. Use wood glue or white glue (not Elmer's school glue). Do a dry fit -- tape the pieces together to be sure you understand how they go together and that they fit well. You may have to sand down some tabs or use a file (or emery board) to enlarge some slots for a perfect fit. No need to dry fit the entire house at once. When one part fits, glue it, then tape and adjust the next part. 

Keep in mind that there is literally no mistake you can make that can't be corrected. Ask all the questions you like. Somebody here will have met and conquered the same challenges. And don't be surprised if you get several differing responses -- there is no right way to do this. Whatever feels right to you is the way to go.