My First Dollhouse Rescue

WBrownIV

pFwpNPrt-4MUrCz5AmPaYgKsyukmNpOeYJ-Vk4YEHello All!

Well it seems I've really jumped into this hobby with both feet:) 

I was looking on Craigslist and came across an ad for a very large dollhouse. The description said it needed a lot of work, although the pictures only showed it from the rear. It also came with four plus boxes of "stuff". That part was what caught my attention. It was also cheap!

Well yesterday I went and bought it. The first thing I noticed that this thing is BIG! More so than the pictures showed. It was also in a pretty bad state of disrepair. The folks I bought it from had it given to them by a neighbor many years ago so they no nothing about what brand it was. The foundation board is crumbling and entire corners are missing along with the porch parts. We got it into the truck along with the extras and headed home.

The house was electrified although I'm not sure if it ever worked. Wires are literally exiting to the outside on top of the siding. Some had a groove carved into the floor to hide them. The staircases are in shambles and it looks to have movable walls as I found a stack of them in one of the boxes. Being new to all this, What do you use as a determination between saving and scrapping a house? I figured if I couldn't save it I would scavenge what I could from the shell and then dispose of it. 

As for the boxes of stuff, I inventoried everything last night. The contents ran the gamut from plants/foliage, furniture, beds, everyday items, building supplies and the lighting kit. Some of the items are brand new in their packaging, some are broken and in need of repair. I even have rugs and pictures/paintings! There are a few interesting items I will post pictures of later to see if any of you had seen them before.

I would like to try to identify the house. Can you all help me? Here are some photos (I hope).

YvLUMbs8pX1oXh_ixLnCqAnccxJTtXUDQiG0BfFz

Well, What do you all think? Would something like this be worth saving? It would have to go on the back burner until I get the travel trailer, sister's Glencroft and my Victorian finished. I would hate to trash it for no reason.

Thank you all!

Bill

21 minutes ago, sr82665@gmail.com said:

What did you look under in Craigslist for that dollhouse?

Hi Sue!

I find with Craigslist you have to try a couple different ways. One being "dollhouse" with another with a space "doll house". Also try the plural "dollshouse" or "dolls house". That way you try to cover all your bases. I'm sure others have even better ways of searching.

Bill

6 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Yes, yes, yes!  I would attempt to replace that first floor/ base and rip out all the old electric and since the interior walls are out, probably strip out all the old interior decoration and do over.

OK Holly :) If this works again here are some interior shots. Any idea who made it?

KJQB_liO9w4xn8EAHq8ELaCYd3vQmcQ_aJwutBPT

:hmm: What would Chip and Joanna Gains do? 

I'm with Holly. If the walls, floors, and roof sections are generally solid, then replace the bad base and have fun repainting and decorating. You could test the electrical components to see if they work, but even if they do I think I'd remove and replace them because of the house's storage history.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

:hmm: What would Chip and Joanna Gains do? 

I'm with Holly. If the walls, floors, and roof sections are generally solid, then replace the bad base and have fun repainting and decorating. You could test the electrical components to see if they work, but even if they do I think I'd remove and replace them because of the house's storage history.

Kathie they sure seem to be. I don't want to throw in the towel prematurely! I'm hoping someone here can identify what kit this is so I could look for some assembly instructions. Sometimes the best way to take something apart is see how it was put together! :) 

As far as lighting goes, I’d rip it all out. I’m a big fan of LED hi hats now. I’ll post the link later. I’m done with playing around with light fixtures that are too fussy with loose bulbs. One LED on the ceiling of every room (connected from the floor above) lights the house up beautifully. I run the tapewire along the floor at the front of the openings and make the connections there. No more traveling tapewire around walls and doors for me, no sir. I’ll attach the video for that too.

9 minutes ago, Sable said:

Yeah that board is fiberboard and it only takes a little water to rot it. I think I would get a nice sheet of 1/2” birch plywood from Lowe’s and cut it using the old base as the template.

Great idea. Thank you! I'll swing by Lowe's and see what they have. Do you have any idea who made it?

SorryI don’t but I’ve seen it before and someone here will know. 

Links:

Can Lights I recommend the soft white:

https://lightingbugltd.com/s/product/novalyte-nlc-can-lights/

Electrical best video ever:

https://www.dollhousestrainsandmore.com/pages/how-to-videos

Lowes Birch plywood:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/1-2-in-Birch-Plywood-Application-as-2-X-4/1000066187

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sable said:

SorryI don’t but I’ve seen it before and someone here will know. 

Links:

Can Lights I recommend the soft white:

https://lightingbugltd.com/s/product/novalyte-nlc-can-lights/

Electrical best video ever:

https://www.dollhousestrainsandmore.com/pages/how-to-videos

Lowes Birch plywood:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/1-2-in-Birch-Plywood-Application-as-2-X-4/1000066187

16 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Bill, that house has lovely  bones, and in your hands I bet it becomes a jewel some granddaughters will go wild over.

Sable thank you for the links! I will check them out. The plywood is cheaper than I thought!

Holly, it really is a grand lady even in her current shape! I appreciate the confidence! :)

Okay so I will get her on a solid foundation and go from there. I still hope someone can ID who made it!