New Member Intro- 70 year old reno

Speedykiki

Hi all. I’m new here and thought I would introduce myself. I have no experience but purchased my mother’s custom dollhouse years ago at their auction. The dollhouse is almost one of a kind. Her sister received an identical dollhouse the same year- about 1947 or so, they don’t recall exactly. I am ready to renovate it and hopefully one day have grandchildren of my own to play with it.

looking for all advice you have- should I do electricity? It currently has no doors or windows and the back is unfinished. Should I cut those in and finish the backside? I want it to be played with- touched, not just to look at.

Thank you!

F3B6CE0D-FE1A-463A-88EE-9635821B73B5.jpeg

36FB2304-E30A-4DEE-95F2-19E861536DB3.jpeg

3BF49486-88EA-435C-9CA5-6B0AC4F3C047.jpeg

Edited by Speedykiki
  • Like 1

Hi Kari! :wave:  And welcome!

Love that unique house!  I do lots of rehabs, and in my opinion a "play" house doesn't really need the expense (and delicate fixtures) of electric. Kids can be rough.  Windows would def be a fun addition...and I would even investigate what is behind those closed in parts to see if more rooms would be possible: an attic room with a window in the roof or a dormer would be fun!  (that is if you don't mind changing the original structure)  You know- you could actually make the back into the front!  Add a front door, windows (maybe with some flower boxes) ..oh gosh, I would add some strip wood and make it look like a Swiss Chalet!  :D

Looks like it mostly needs a good cleaning, a good round with the sander (I have one of those mouse sanders-love it!) and some paint and love.  :)  What a fun project!