Starting my first house

Hello all.  I purchased the Orchid Dollhouse and have just finished the furniture that was included.  Now the big job - the house itself.  I've never done one of these before.  The instructions seem very complete but hopefully I can get some hints on the forum.  I'm in Ontario Canada.  Building this for my 5 year old granddaughter.  She may be 7 or 8 by the time I finish!  LOL.  

Welcome to the little family, Rob.  There are two building blogs for the Orchid in the blog section of the forum, and you can freely ask any questions because someone or other will have had the same problem.  My Orchid didn't come with furniture!

• Like 1

:wave: Hi Rob!  And welcome!

What a lucky granddaughter you have.  :D  I have never built an Orchid, but as Holly said- the building blogs are a great place to start.  Just remember to take it slow, do a "dry fit" before gluing, use a good carpenter's wood glue and NOT hot glue, and you may have to do some sanding or some minor adjustments to the tab/slots to make sure there is a secure fit.  

The Orchid is such a cute little house- I know she will love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Glendenning said:

Why is hot glue not a good option? 

The hot glue will, over time, desiccate enough that the joints will let go. Don't use it for any structural elements. It is helpful to tack pieces together while the wood glue or white glue is drying, although masking or painters tape also works well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KathieB said:

The hot glue will, over time, desiccate enough that the joints will let go. Don't use it for any structural elements. It is helpful to tack pieces together while the wood glue or white glue is drying, although masking or painters tape also works well. 

I use heavy duty steel staples.