Retrofitting a curved staircase

Horosinski

Hi there...this is the first time that I have written a question.  I am currently retrofitting/remodeling (kitbashing :-)) a 35 year old Dura Craft Colonial dollhouse which my parents had built for my daughter.  I recently purchased one of the lovely curved staircases to replace the one which had come with the kit.  Unfortunately the staircase did not contain information regarding the size of the opening required at the top of the stairs.  The original Dura Craft opening is too small.

i am concerned that I will make a “huge, irreparable hole” in my attempts to enlarge.  Has anyone out there installed one of the curved staircases who can provide some dimensions?  Thank you in advance.

Not seeing it ?? But you can take some cardboard or poster board with the new staircase cut the cardboard to the opening you think you will need, Once you are satisfied you now have the size of the opening you will need, this way you can adjust until you have it right before cutting.

• Like 1

Using the above info, you now can make your pattern the size you need to enlarge the hole for the stairs.  When you take a break before doing the actual cutting, do consider posting us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.

• Like 1

the beautiful part about cutting a hole is that you can always repair it BUT, as @sable said, the measurement should be 7 inches - imagine a human walking through the stairs - that's the size clearance they'd need to not bang their head on the ceiling...with that said, Dura-craft has a smaller footprint then most houses so I'd actually start a little smaller at about 5 inches with a template and see if that would work with the angle of your staircase.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019, 11:38:31, Sable said:

The width will be the width of the stairs. The length of the opening should start at about 7 inches from the step just under the beginning of the opening. Does that make sense? 

Hi....I had to think about the seven inches for a bit :-).  I’ve cut out 5 inches (lengthwise) thus far, thinking I could squeeze in the staircase (I hated losing the floor space!)....however, you are totally spot on about the 7 inches for the dollhouse “believability” factor.

Thank you for your guidance!  I’m certain I shall have many more questions as I proceed!  (Back to my Dremel)

On 2/13/2019, 8:37:16, Qubanqtee said:

the beautiful part about cutting a hole is that you can always repair it BUT, as @sable said, the measurement should be 7 inches - imagine a human walking through the stairs - that's the size clearance they'd need to not bang their head on the ceiling...with that said, Dura-craft has a smaller footprint then most houses so I'd actually start a little smaller at about 5 inches with a template and see if that would work with the angle of your staircase.  

22 minutes ago, Horosinski said:

Hi....I had to think about the seven inches for a bit :-).  I’ve cut out 5 inches (lengthwise) thus far, thinking I could squeeze in the staircase (I hated losing the floor space!)....however, you are totally spot on about the 7 inches for the dollhouse “believability” factor.

Thank you for your guidance!  I’m certain I shall have many more questions as I proceed!  (Back to my Dremel)

That’s not exactly what I meant. Measure from the first floor to the second floor with the stairs in place. As you go up each step measure until the step is  7 inches directly from the ceiling. Directly above that step is where you will begin cutting the hole.

• Like 1

Gotcha!!!!  Duh....thank you!  That makes sense to me now.  Thank you so very much...I’m out of town right now and can’t wait to get back home so I can proceed measuring and cutting with confidence (operative word)!

If I can figure out how to reduce pixels I’ll attach a photo....