Foxhall Manor: Ultimate Find!!!

While searching for dollhouse kits locally (which includes my entire state! Woah!) I found somebody selling this already built but (a little) damaged Foxhall Manor by Real Good Toys.

The shingles are broken, but terrible so they are coming off. The conservatory was painted a bright yellow so I'm going to both tone It down with some white paint, and place a very high wainscotting trim on the room. On the room It looks like spilled white paint (or maybe? glue). There are broken stairs, rails in the Grand Hall. It looks like real sized carpet was used.

All I can see however is The Potential: I've got this hand crafted doll by an I.G.M.A. Artist named Eliza and this is going to be her home. I'm thinking of painting the roof black and later shingling it. The house either a dusky lavender or a dusky rose pink. Black trim. Dark grey and deep cream for accent colors.

Only Artisan pieces and furniture inside this home! I cannot wait to start collecting, but I first must finish some Layaways in 1:24 scale. Already an Artisan member here has offered me a stunning rug that will have the pride of place in one of the rooms.

It's going to take years, but it will be beautiful when it's finished.

It needs Help and LOVE! But it is only: $40! I'm stunned.

Going to hopefully pick it up next week. My friend is going to be taking me over to get it. I know that it is HUGE (it comes with the Conservatory and the two-story addition, but the staircases are missing, plus the (looking at the front) left side front-opening door.

I've measured my desk: it fits! But only a foot more in length is available to work. I'm cleaning up my Craft Room this week and getting ready to bring my find home hopefully next week.

I'm so THRILLED!

There are Members that find these incredible Dollhouses for incredible prices, but I NEVER dreamed that I could ever be one.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

Congratulations, that is totally awesome!!!! Can't wait to see the before pics and what you do to rehab her!

Thank you! I'm sort of in shock at the moment that I'm getting this dollhouse. I've LOVED miniatures since I was a child, but never had anything other than a Lundby (with horse stall and lower living room). It never had any electric lights, but I'm already thinking about grand chandeliers for this house!

These are the Before pictures:

51240415_10104259656531076_7546472974631567360_n.jpg

50811332_10104259656720696_2973130083465691136_n.jpg

50878260_10104259227081696_7384655494729695232_n.jpg

12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

What a wonderful sow's ear, to turn into a silk purse!

It's so terribly ugly at this point but I've wanted this dollhouse for years, just figured it was way out of My Budget, considering the finishing and decorating costs of such a large dollhouse and have it all planned out in my head.

40 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

That’s a great find....I love that house....  wow.

Thank you, I absolutely adore it too! I think I'm partially In Shock with this Dollhouse find but very keen to begin. I've quite honestly been planning this house out in my head for years now, but since I thought it was just a Dream to even be able to buy the kit I think that it will actually be easier to redo than any of my other Projects.

Congrats on getting a great house at a great price.  I can tell your so excited to have obtained the house of your dreams.  So, very happy for you. I am sure you will bring this poor house back to the glory it deserves.  So looking forward to watching this house evolve from the ugly duckling to the beautiful swan it deserves to be.

• Like 1

Congrats on finding your dream house.  Wish you had caught me last week as I came across four extra Foxhall staircases and one Lawbre curved staircase during the downsizing and reorganizing I am currently working on.  I would have been happy to send you a couple but they are all gone.

Just a note about artisan minis - once you start collecting artisan pieces you will never go back!

Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Congrats on getting a great house at a great price.  I can tell your so excited to have obtained the house of your dreams.  So, very happy for you. I am sure you will bring this poor house back to the glory it deserves.  So looking forward to watching this house evolve from the ugly duckling to the beautiful swan it deserves to be.

Colleen, thank you so much! Yesterday when I wasn't certain that I could go over to pick it up I was pacing back and forth from both stress and excitement. Now I'm calm knowing that it is going to come home with me and live here to be my new Dream Dollhouse. I've got such plans for this dollhouse, but I know exactly how I want to begin: (stripping it down and redoing some of the details first) and I'm both calm and a tiny bit antsy.

This is the type of dollhouse that deserves to look it's Best and I cannot wait to make that happen! I can already tell what the Original Owners were trying to do but didn't quite know how and that is a good place for me to start the refurbishment. I think. As soon as I can get the rough bits off it won't look so Ugly Duckling, but as soon as I get it redone on the exterior and interior as far as stripping it down I think the Beautiful Swan will begin to show through the mess that it currently is.

19 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Love that you found THE house of your dreams! I know this feeling and will be watching as you make it yours!

Heidi, thank you, it is such a wonderful feeling, isn't it? I never knew what it was like before on the outside of things but it is a good feeling to take something so in need of help and redo it. Plus the ability to locate a dollhouse not only already built but to be able to get it for such an amazing price: I'm pinching myself. I cannot believe it is true! Just think of me as on: :cloud9:

19 hours ago, NellBell said:

Congrats . I'm so happy to see you so happy Looking forward to seeing what you do. Congrats again and have loads of fun.  

Nell Marie, thank you! I'm just so excited to begin that I am not quite certain what exactly I want to do first but I think I know that those poor shingles have to come off right away. :doh: (Ugh!) Thankfully, I believe they may have been put on with a hot glue gun and with a hair dryer they should slide off with a blunt tool.

15 hours ago, queenannediva said:

Congrats on finding your dream house.  Wish you had caught me last week as I came across four extra Foxhall staircases and one Lawbre curved staircase during the downsizing and reorganizing I am currently working on.  I would have been happy to send you a couple but they are all gone.

Just a note about artisan minis - once you start collecting artisan pieces you will never go back!

Good luck and have fun.

Valerie, thank you so much! You are so kind to think of My Ugly Duckling and I. I might modify those areas with a true spiral staircase that is hand carved, but I'm not entirely certain about the size of the Grand Foyer, yet. Once I get my hands in there it should tell me more, but I do want to get it looking beautiful.

Artisans: I've got a GORGEOUS 1:24 scale Tea Cart and it is just breathtaking! Those are the types of furnishings that I want in this house, for certain. (I'll never go back to anything else.) Not after seeing how grand they truly are.

13 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

you're going to have a blast with this one and it'll be such a great journey!

Susie, I feel I'm going to have such an an amazing time with this dollhouse. It's going to be such a wonderful journey redoing this dollhouse.

5 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Oh Drea I am SO happy for you! :D:clap: Isn't it so exciting when you make such a find!?  It may be an ugly duckling now, but I am quite sure that you will have it turned into a beautiful swan someday! 

Jackie, it's so exciting! This style of dollhouse is what I have been dreaming over for years: My gorgeous Swan.

3 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Congratulations on your find!  A diamond in the rough.

Deborah, thank you. This diamond in the rough is the very start I wanted but didn't realize that I hadn't had. Forum Members talk aout it all the time- A dollhouse speaking to you, but I didn't really hear it until now.

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

a total bargain.

And yes those shingles will not be missed. I think that conservatory is lovely...looking forward to seeing your changes.

Jenn, thank you it is such a bargain! Those shingles I hope will be the first thing to go. The Conservatory I think I have an answer to: I have a cream-like yellow that is very soft that is house paint. It's going to go up so much easier, but I do need some advice on a link for Paint. Do I use Primer? What size should I get? I intend to use (People) Sample Size - 8oz. jars for the body, but should I buy a gallon of Primer? What is the best? I would LOVE a link, if you or another could help.

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

I would do a small test patch of the creamy yellow directly over the YELLOW!! conservatory wall to see if it covers OK before going with primer, unless what's in there is oil-based.

Thank you, Holly! Will the test with the Creamy-yellow tell me if I will need to use Primer? I was also thinking that I could sand it off, somewhat. Maybe?

I, personally would primer that bad boy with Kilz...a quart size is plenty and you'll have leftovers.  I've rehabbed some houses that have been in garage rafters with other living creatures and I sanitize with a solution of 1/4 bleach to a quart of water and wipe the whole house down with a rag, let it air dry and then I remove whatever Im not keeping on the house and I do it again.  I would then paint the primer on and then you can use your people paint to really see if you like the color.  again, I'd get a sample of the paint from Home Depot and if you're happy with it you can then get a quart, which is gong to be plenty =)  It will certainly allow for at least two coats of paint and left overs just in case you need them. =)

Can't wait!

I know you are not ready to complete the roof at this time but when you are ready please consider using Richard Stacey’s real slate roof tiles. That house deserves only the best. Unfortunately, the best is expensive but they are hand cut and you can clean the roof with a soapy damp cloth since it’s real stone.

http://www.miniaturebricks.com/roofing/slate/3013rs