Ageing wood

Denisem

Another option is to age the wood with tea, steel wool and vinegar.  Gives the wood a silvery finish. Put a wad of steel wool in a jar of vinegar, let the wool degrade overnight. Put a few tea bags in hot water. Cool. Paint or soak the wood in the tea. Let dry. Brush the wood with the vinegar solution. 

Or use chalk pastels in Mod Podge....or paint.  Basically brush it on, wipe it off.  You use a craft knife to scrape the chalk into the liquid medium until you achieve the colour you want.  Works exceptionally well - I often use this technique.

I agree with Holly, India ink and alcohol. I have used it for years on my railroad models, and it does give a very silvery, aged finish. I usually use 1 teaspoon per bottle of isopropyl alcohol, but also 2 teaspoons for a darker look. I've tried three teaspoons, but it was too dark for my tastes. For very aged wood, scrape it first with a fine-toothed razor saw or 80 grit sandpaper for some heavy graining. The alcohol mix soaks into the grooves for a very realistic aged look. If you want knots in your wood, drill a small hole and carve some curvy lines around it. Looks very realistic after the alcohol wash. For a caboose with knotty pine siding, I drilled the holes at angle, glued toothpicks in the holes, sanded them flush with the siding, carved the curves, finally the India ink wash. Turned out great. I did this in 1:20.3 scale, so it should work very well in 1:12. 

John

• Like 2

I use a CLEAN empty yogurt container and use about a half cup of alcohol and add my ink by the drop. applying it to a test piece of the wood I'm trying to age (it dries quickly) until I get the color I want.  The steel wool & vinegar gives a different color effect, also old & weathered.