Flip This Dollhouse

Sable

I Think this is store is maintained by Nathaniel, who used to be on here too earlier. I have been Following him on FB too and would Love to visit his shop someday! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I found his shop on Etsy.  We have lost so many members to Facebook!

Well @havanaholly, it's understandable as to why people migrate to Facebook.  I visit FB daily but not always this site or the MDL (mini Doll List)  On the groups in Facebook you're having discussion and hints and tutorials that you don't get here with the same ease.  That's not saying that people here don't share, Im saying that here you have to delve deeper to find tutorials and they are limited, for the most part, to GL items.  Understandable as it's their site.  On facebook you dont have those restrictions. Pictures post faster and you're unlimited as to the many pictures you can post.  Tutorials are posted and you can reach out for help and you do get a larger response simply because there are 1000's of people in the group actively engaged in a 24 hour period.

Please dont think I'm complaining about the site.  It's been a huge help to me and I enjoy that I've met several members here personally and even a few I've grown close to.  But this site does have it limitations, some are imposed by the members themselves and others are because of rules for everyones well being.

I do enjoy this site but I also understand why people migrate away.

• Like 1

Susie, is right, there is much more instant gratification over on Facebook and Instagram, just because of the shear number of followers and group members. I have to say it’s wonderful to see the renewed interest in minis on those sites and younger people participating. But you can’t beat the depth of knowledge you get here at Greenleaf and because of the intimate nature of a forum, the friendships are great here. :D I love my social media for when I’m feeling lazy, but for a deeper delve, this is the place to be. I do on Occassion when presented with an opportunity try to direct people over here for specific information they are seeking. Not sure many take me up on it though.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Samusa said:

Susie, is right, there is much more instant gratification over on Facebook and Instagram, just because of the shear number of followers and group members. I have to say it’s wonderful to see the renewed interest in minis on those sites and younger people participating. But you can’t beat the depth of knowledge you get here at Greenleaf and because of the intimate nature of a forum, the friendships are great here. :D I love my social media for when I’m feeling lazy, but for a deeper delve, this is the place to be. 

its why we post on both sites lol.....we get to have the friends who dont FB and knowledge and instant gratification all rolled into one computer with a few sign ins lol

50 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

its why we post on both sites lol.....we get to have the friends who dont FB and knowledge and instant gratification all rolled into one computer with a few sign ins lol

Yes, but I agree with you why we lose members. You have to work to build a following and friendships here and social sites are so easy. Instant gratification, hundreds of likes on your projects. It can be very intoxicating for a newbie looking for feedback. I used to comment on every photo in the galleries here because if someone took the time to post I thought the least I could do was give some mini love or help, but life gets busy and time runs short so a quick heart button on Facebook is frankly just easier. It’s a shame, but a lot of us that are working long hours just don’t have the time to devote to the forum that it deserves.

Somehow every time someone brings up the word Facebook in a post the topic changes to a discussion all about Facebook. I really hesitated mentioning it for that reason.

Anyway, I’m pleased that Flip This House has taken on the endeavor to have a real brick and mortar store available so these houses can have a second life. I had looked into a opening a dollhouse consignment shop a few years ago but our retail rents are just too crazy high. 

• Like 1

Heard about Nathaniel's Flip This Dollhouse shop this morning. My friend NJ and I coordinated flights and we'll be heading to New Bedford on Monday, April 22. We'll fly into Boston -- she from Kansas City and me from Atlanta --  rent a car and drive to New Bedford, then drive out to Cape Cod for a couple days. Back into Boston to catch early flights back home on Friday. Funny thing, my one-stop flight back to Atlanta stops for a plane change in Kansas City, so we'll fly home together part of the way.  

I've never been in that part of the country and am looking forward to it. Any suggestions about what to do or see there? Any members in the area to meet up with?

Smiling ... I guess there's some spontaneity left in the old girl yet. :D Nathaniel, here we come!

• Like 3

How exciting @KathieB - Boston is a fun place - if you enjoy seafood you’ll enjoy a great selection there- I used to travel to Boston and surrounding areas quite frequently when I was stationed in Groton CT - that was a long time ago so I can’t bring up specific places for you as they may not be there - being from Atlanta maybe you’ve been to Legal seafoods - it’s gone vase is Boston - hope you get to enjoy that 

37 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

if you enjoy seafood

I love seafood. It's what I miss second most from New Orleans. (The first being the people, of course!) My traveling companion, NJ, doesn't like seafood. If it doesn't moo, she won't look at it. She'll have to cope. Seafood restaurants usually have something on the menu for the landlubbers. :) 

Understand your frustration with the FB conversation Sable.. don't really like it myself. If it wasn't for the dollhouse groups I wouldn't even be on there. :D 

@KathieB I love New England so much.. feeling envious. If you get a chance to take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard for the day I'd recommend it. Edgartown is such a lovely place to wander around and window shop. The architecture and history is great too. I'm pretty sure you can hire those walking tours with the headsets.. 

Not sure if you are up for the drive to New Hampshire from Boston (can't be that far can it??) but don't forget Earth & Tree is in Amherst! :drool2:

Kathie: April 22nd should be a nice time to be in New England; though it could rain and be chilly, there's an equal chance of it being really nice and spring-like! The Cape will probably be a little warmer. That week is school vacation week in NH. Mass has the previous week, with the Boston marathon and our Patriots' Day (to celebrate the Battles of Concord and Lexington). Boston has so much to do, depending on the weather. Check out Fanueil Hall, the North End, the Boston Gardens (might be some leaves on trees). If you are heading north to Earth and Tree it will take you a little over an hour. PM me if you are heading up this way.

Kathie, I also forgot to mention the Black Forest Cafe which is right on the way to Earth and Tree.  Delicious homemade breads and baked goods with a very nice restaurant attached.  You have to pass it to get to Earth and Tree.....I can smell it now:drool2: April 22 is my wedding anniversary so you should definitely go to both places to celebrate (in case you really need a reason:giggle:)