Red brick powder for making bricks.

LHAT

Several years ago i built a dollhouse by Dura-Craft. The kit used a brick powder for around the foundation that seemed to be made out of real concrete. It is very water proof. I am trying to find that powder. The Magic Masonry powder that I found dissolves in water even after it sets up. I need the powder to be waterproof as it is going on an outdoor project. Without going into much detail, it is for a birdhouse that I am restoring. The original brick on the birdhouse seems to be identical to that older power I used on that Dura-Craft house many years ago. I could try to seal the Magic Masonry stuff but would really like to use the old stuff so I don't have to worry as much about all my hard work dissolving. Any help would be appreciated.

My suggestion, since it will be outdoors is to use tile grout. You can get it in small premixed tubs at Lowe’s. I use the sanded grout since it gives a little texture. The unsanded grout has to be mixed with water and comes in huge bags so it is not economical for me.  Since grout is used in bathrooms it is waterproof. I actually use it outside to make small stucco repairs on my real house. I’ve used it on my dollhouses a few times to stucco them. There are waterproof craft paints that you can use to paint it brick red once the grout has cured.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a bag of red brick powder which came with the Dura-Craft house I bought.  I didn't use it (made "stones" around the base with coffee trays instead).  My scale says it weighs 18.34 oz.  No labeling on it and top is folded over and stapled closed.

The kits that came with the "brik" powder also included a roll of adhesive paper brickwork template.  You painted the surface you wanted to brick with the color you wanted your grout, mixed the powder with equal parts water (per instructions) and white tacky glue (prevented later flaking) to the consistency of frosting, laid the template over the grout-colored surface, spread a thin layer of the brick frosting, pulled off the template tape and let it dry.