You all are a terrible influence ;-)

Debsrand56

I honestly never liked dolls in my builds.  I always thought they detracted from the realism.  I'm sure that was based in large part on the incredibly fake and awkward-looking plastic dolls I remember from my childhood.  Then I started being tempted by some of the most beautiful dolls on this forum (I'm looking at you  @WyckedWood, @NellBell, @Mid-life madness and @Qubanqtee ). And Samantha ( @Samusa ) has those fun dolls with the great clothes.  And suddenly, the idea of a doll became much more appealing, and the next thing I knew, I had bought one!  She is coming from Maria Narbon and will take several weeks to arrive.  She is going to live in my Fairfield, although with her clothing, she would also not look out of place if she visited the library at Sagamore Hill.  She's a bit of a splurge, but I had some gift cards at Etsy left over from Christmas, and decided that she would be a good use of them.  Since she is no longer available for sale on Maria's site, here is her picture:

M.NarbonDoll.jpg.b32a7c79f9644040a48f7e0

• Like 2

Welcome to our wold it opens amazing ideas . I still love building dollhouses with no doll in mind. I am having a blast though making a doll and designing a scene just for her. I agree with Carrie you will make amazing fashions once you cross that bridge. I truly never thought I would want a doll but now I just love them. Still working up the courage to paint my first on SOMEDAY:freaked:

Please post photos of her in her new home. Can't wait to see her. SHe's so tiny. 

• Like 1

This is what happened to me! I never wanted dolls in my houses... I thought they were too stiff and unrealistic too... but then I saw the dolls of @MLI Designs and all the great scenes she was making and I got hooked on 1/12 bjds. I agree with Nell, it’s so fun to set up a scene around your doll. :D I’m amazed at the detail on your doll Debora, sooo, tiny... she is really lovely.

11 hours ago, NellBell said:

truly never thought I would want a doll but now I just love them.

9 hours ago, Samusa said:

I never wanted dolls in my houses

3 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

I always thought dolls were creepy but not now that I was recruited to the dark side lol.

Yep.  Isn't it funny how seeing examples of how beautiful dolls can be has changed our minds.  :)  I will definitely post pictures once I get her.  We can recruit more.  :evil:  I'd love to make some clothing. I got a book with patterns and tips specifically for half scale doll clothes.

• Like 1

That's funny how we start out thinking dolls are creepy and then eventually we want one. lol. I've been searching for one, too, ever since I went to the Good Sam show back in October. Cat Wingler had a few 1:48 dolls but, unfortunately, she had just sold her last victorian lady right before I got to her table so I was out of luck. If any of you know of a good source for quarter scale dolls I would love to know about them.

Congratulations on your purchase, Deborah. I'm looking forward to seeing how you incorporate her into your incredible mini world. Sometimes dolls can look (creepily) amazing in dollhouses!

• Like 2

First, wow what a beauty you have found, I have great respect for anyone who can paint half scale so well. Not to mention the tailoring of the clothes is just perfect. How exciting! 

I definitely crossed over from the camp of “no dolls, ever”...never say never lol. One thing that amazes me about the dollhouse hobby is how many different skills we can learn, rabbit holes we can fall in to, and never leave the dollhouse. 

• Like 2

I was “no dolls” too when I first got started, but I’ve definitely changed in my approach. I tend towards fantasy characters and animals. I think the right doll can give the build “life.” 

I agree with Karin, Miniatures opens up a whole world of skills as we explore other art forms in order to expand our craft. 

• Like 2

I like realistic dolls in my realistic houses but love having a family of frogs living on the 2-story houseboat and enjoy looking at houses that have mice in residence. I think the residents should take on the ambiance of the dwelling -- that's what is important to me: do they fit the scenario.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kokomo said:

Cat Wingler had a few 1:48 dolls but, unfortunately, she had just sold her last victorian lady right before I got to her table so I was out of luck.

Oh, that's too bad!  Have you asked whether she'll do a custom order? 

11 hours ago, Dalesq said:

I tend towards fantasy characters and animals.

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

enjoy looking at houses that have mice in residence.

I love builds with mice and other animals in them.  I had been seriously thinking of a mouse to take up residence in the Fairfield, until I saw this doll.

She’s lovely. I’ve never really thought of putting a doll (dolls) in any of my houses. BUT.....I found these four that looked like they were in need of a home, so....they’ve come home with me.  I don’t know how to tell if they are porcelain or bisque? One of them has a loose leg, there on with a cord.

5DC004A4-EB58-48D2-8CDA-4638DD0149B2.jpeg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

I don’t know how to tell if they are porcelain or bisque?

They could be both. Bisque is unglazed pottery, It has a matte finish. Porcelain is a translucent ceramic clay. So, they could be porcelain bisque if they have a matte finish or glazed porcelain if they have a shiny finish. No matter what their heritage, they are lovely.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Oh, that's too bad!  Have you asked whether she'll do a custom order?

I think she does do custom orders. I just spent some time googling her email and finally found it so I think I'll contact her and see what she says!

Yeah, the title of this thread is accurate. You all are a terrible influence!

• Like 1

I won this teeny little doll on eBay. She is from The Doll Smith's. (They are not in business any longer) Their doll kits come up from time to time and are usually 1:12 scale. She came with all the necessary trimmings and instruction to assemble her. She has hair....it is not painted on. I am so amazed by this doll. I think my glue drops would be bigger than she is, so I haven't even attempted to make her.large.5c7d8a239ce3a_DollSmithsdoll.JPG.c

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I won this teeny little doll on eBay.

Ooh, she is teeny!  Quarter scale?  So beautifully detailed!  It will be a challenge dressing her, but having seen some of your other clothes, you will do great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I won this teeny little doll on eBay. She is from The Doll Smith's. (They are not in business any longer) Their doll kits come up from time to time and are usually 1:12 scale. She came with all the necessary trimmings and instruction to assemble her. She has hair....it is not painted on. I am so amazed by this doll. I think my glue drops would be bigger than she is, so I haven't even attempted to make her.

Oh, I love her! I'm jelly donut, for sure. She's beautiful!

• Like 1