Anyone else have problems with Greenleaf products???

8 posts in this topic

Not sure if I am allowed to post this on here but wondering if anyone else has had problems with Greenleaf dollhouses? My Beacon Hill arrived today and is more than 75% unuseable! The quality of the plywood is really inferior and none of the pieces can be pressed out.  Do they not have any quality control at all???? I am extremely upset after waiting for it to arrive.

Where did you buy the kit? You can contact Greenleaf for support, especially if you bought it from them directly: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/about-us/greenleaf_dollhouse.html (contact info is at the bottom of the page)

Without seeing the wood it's hard to know if what you're describing is "normal" or not. In my experience, occasionally there will be a bad sheet in a die-cut kit but it shouldn't be a widespread problem. That said, in older kits or ones that have been badly stored, problems may be worse -- something to keep in mind if you buy a kit off eBay, Craigslist, etc.

The plywood in die cut kits does sometimes splinter when you punch out the parts. This can be fixed with wood filler and by covering up the wood (e.g. with siding or wallpaper).

Edit: Sorry I assumed you wouldn't know about the wood's tendency to splinter, I just noticed the Garfield and Harrison in your albums. Is the quality of the wood in your Beacon Hill kit very different from the wood on those?

I had quite a few splintery pieces in the Glencroft kit I got directly from Greenleaf.  I just assumed it was a kit that had been stored in their inventory for a very long time and used wood glue to re-laminate the layers; but I didn't have a problem with warped sheets with that kit.  Sometimes luan plywood  can be a b****y product to work with; I have built many kits with it, not just Greenleaf.

I bought it from a reputable company and they are replacing it. I took about 15 pieces out and they could not in any way be pressed out as they were not cut through.

Here are a few of the pictures of the quality of wood front and back. You can see the back where most of it is not cut through.

HPIM1176.JPG

HPIM1177.JPG

HPIM1178.JPG

HPIM1179.JPG

Sometimes the dies don't go all the way through.  I have used my utility knife to cut out pieces.  If your supplier is replacing the funky sheets, you should be good to go.

Seems to me one of the sheets was like that in the Willowcrest I had. I remember joking about them being made of steel instead of wood because even with an exacto blade I couldn't cut though them to loosen the pieces.

It could be that the wood for a whole batch came in that was inferior or something and no one caught it.

1 person likes this

glad they are replacing it for you and you'll get to proceed with your Beacon Hill!