Can I see your houses with siding made from cardboard or upholstery strips

Gabblar

Hello!

I am finally hoping to start on my own dollhouse after renovating a dollhouse for my toddler.

I am thinking about the weight of the house, as well as cost and have searched and searched and have not found as many photos of siding made with cardboard or upholstery strips.

I would love to see some examples! Thank you :)

I have also attached a picture of my dh, it is front opening and I will be making some modifications to the exterior to add modern touches and am also thinking of cutting windows on both sides.

czz002.jpg

Edited by Gabblar

I tried to do the carpet tac siding on my first house. I ended up ripping it off and using this type of clapboard siding. I think the carpet tac is neat if you want a rustic, older, house effect, but I found it difficult to get a clean, level looking appearance.

On my first house(The Laurel) the siding I bought was made of mdf and cheaper......it has a pebble texture after I painted it with latex paint.

On my second house The Willow I sprung for the real wood....It was worth the extra cost to me. It came out smooth using latex paint. it is light and easy to cut with a box knife.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=core&module=members&controller=profile&id=69717&tab=node_gallery_

I hope this info helps~~~

P.S. There is a house on this forum that was done using the tac....I did a quick search, but I could not find it. Maybe someone can find it?

Edited by Mid-life madness
additional info
  • Like 2

I agree with Carrie that siding is probably lighter than you realize.  I've used the clapboard siding, and I think it's much easier for two reasons:  You're putting on several "strips" of siding at a time, which speeds things up, and the siding is designed so that each piece fits perfectly into the next, which makes for more even application.  If you're going to use cardboard or upholstery strips, I would think it might be a good idea to measure and draw lines on your house where each strip will go (similar to the way roofs are prepped for shingling) to ensure that they go on evenly and straight.

• Like 2

@BWMurphy Your house looks great. I think I had problems because the striping I used came on a roll https://www.amazon.com/Upholstery-Tack-Strip-Chip-Natural/dp/B01M1MXHVG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=30Y0NSRNPUIS5&keywords=upholstery+strip&qid=1552057113&s=gateway&sprefix=upholstery+stri%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

It kept curling and would not lay flat using glue. I should have used a combo of hot glue and tacky glue??

• Like 1

@Mid-life madness @Debsrand56  Thank you for your responses and links, I'm now re-thinking the idea because I'm looking for a much cleaner, modern finish. The room cardbox does look great with the strips.

@BWMurphy That looks great, why would you say satisfactory? and from your personal experience, what has achieved results that you are happy with?

Thank you so much for the responses- difficult to respond back immediatley having 2 little ones!

• Like 1

Well, I bought a couple of rolls of upholstery tack strip (1/2") from Joanns today.  After reading your post, Carrie, I am going to unroll the strip, cut to size and flatten the individual strips under heavy weight to try to get rid of some of the curl before gluing onto the house.  Plan to use Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue or perhaps Aleene's quick dry.  Not sure if I will prepaint each strip yet or not.  It will be a slow process, but will let you know if it works.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thriftymini said:

Well, I bought a couple of rolls of upholstery tack strip (1/2") from Joanns today.  After reading your post, Carrie, I am going to unroll the strip, cut to size and flatten the individual strips under heavy weight to try to get rid of some of the curl before gluing onto the house.  Plan to use Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue or perhaps Aleene's quick dry.  Not sure if I will prepaint each strip yet or not.  It will be a slow process, but will let you know if it works.

I think it is a great way to do siding, I just didn't do a great job! I think I would use cereal boxes etc.It just that you have to start collecting the materials.... Your work is always neat and tidy, so I bet you will have nice results!