Lets talk carpet.

Mrs. 2Bscale

Hello again everyone.

I've another question for you all.

I see a few different materials used for Carpet. Like thin Floor mats.

Question is :

Is their a "Realistic Carpet" material sold or made ?

Ideas would be greatly appreciated on DIY carpet.

looks like 80% of people use Hard wood floors  materials for most of their rooms.

I'm also searching for a realistic Linoleum or limo I think it's called floor pattern, and I'm playing with the idea of creating some if I can't find something soon.

No laughing..hehehee…. I love the fancy houses with all the proper stuff, But I also want to create something more down to earth and ole school. Low income realistic dwellings.

Small happy homes you could say.

Thanks for your time.

Years ago I did a lot of carpet in my rooms, because that was the style of the day.  Now I do mostly wood floors because it is the style today - - but also because most of my houses are for "play" and carpet gets dirty/dusty so quickly.  I have since learned to sweep my carpeted rooms with a clean, soft paintbrush and/or a sticky roller.  ;)

I always purchased mini carpets, but I have seen people use felt.  As for linoleum- you could use a printed pattern on paper or card stock and modge podge it to give the shine.

• Like 1

Assuming you don't want to do cross-stitch or needlepoint :), a fine-grained tweed fabric can make a very nice carpet.  Check your local Goodwill store for skirts, pants or jackets if you don't want to spend a lot of money.  Velvet or suede paper can also work for a very low pile carpet.  I think it works especially well for smaller areas, like stair steps.  I've also used my Silhouette machine to emboss the velvet paper for a really nice "sculpted" carpet look.  For linoleum, check out http://www.dollhouse-miniatures.co.uk/products.html (specifically, their Marlike).  I have not yet bought from them, but I've heard very good things from those who have.  Also, as Jackie mentioned (she posted while I was typing), printing on paper or cardstock and giving a coat of ModPodge can make a very good linoleum-like surface.  That's what I've used for all my kitchen and utility room floors to date.

• Like 1

Thank you.

I was wondering about the felt. My wife also has stack and stack of it.

It is a possibility.

Great info. As dirty looking floors are a pet peeve of mine....lol Maybe this is not a good idea.

Although Once I build something, I'll probably never see it again.

Lots to research on the topic I'm thinking. I would like to find some earthy tones mini carpet that looks the part.

Thanks again for the fast response. You have my gears a-turnin.

I once got a bunch of upholstery fabric samples on clearance at Joanns for $1 each. They make good carpets. I also like the suede scrapbook paper in half scale, but it might be a little too flat-looking for 1:12 scale.

• Like 2

I used a piece of sweatshirt inside up for the carpet here:

Putting it together

These rugs are upholstery samples:

KathieB's photos:  the master bedroom

KathieB's Maggie photos:  The living room

I stitched this rug (the tile floor is peel & stick tile I got from Greenleaf):

new kitchen rug: finished & in place

and for the farmhouse I used iron-on wood veneer strips I cut into "boards" for the parlor and for the kitchen linoleum I painted the primed floor a base color and spattered two other colors onto it using an old toothbrush:

farmhoue back (2).JPG

• Like 1

As mentioned above I also go to fabric stores and get cheap remnants of polyester suede and upholstery fabric in tweed. I attach them to large poster board and slide it under the baseboards. This way they can be removed easily if needed for a good shake or vacuuming.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=135974

• Like 2

You all are so fantastic.

Huge thanks again for knowledge shared.

Their all good Ideas.

Definitely time to go and look around and see what's available in my area.

And I'll start looking around the house (wifes hobby Room)... hehehehe, ssshhhhh …. for more of the above mentioned.

ahahahaaha

Thanks again everyone. Very helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2Bscale said:

And I'll start looking around the house (wifes hobby Room)... hehehehe, ssshhhhh

Working in miniature, you won't need much. She may not notice it is missing. :D 

• Like 1

I like felt because it's cheap and easy to use.  I also like it for stair runners because it is flexible and easy to glue to the stairs.  I cut it on a paper cutter because it can be accidentally stretched when being cut with scissors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I prefer to use felt for  asphalt roofing

I used a textured spray paint on the roof of the quilt shop. It is quite believable and is easy to clean.

• Like 1

All great advice.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas.

LOL, and don't worry, Of course I'll use my puppy dog eye's and ask for scraps of material.

Computer room is shared with her craft room. 

I'm currently eyeballing a nice tan mix sheet of felt sticking out of all the colors.

• Like 1