Favorite Childrens Book 11/07/06

Minis On The Edge

I was a late bloomer when it came to books. I can't remember ever being read to as a child, and I didn't start reading for pleasure until I was in my 20's. The first time I heard about The Chronicles of Narnia was when the movie came out. So, I read the series and loved it. Then I read it, one chapter a night, to my seven-year-old son who loved it. After we finished the last book, he wanted me to start all over again so we have.

I also love reading the Harry Potter books and the Gregor books by Suzanne Collins, but I don't want to let my son read those until he is older - too scarey.

I also love reading the Harry Potter books and the Gregor books by Suzanne Collins, but I don't want to let my son read those until he is older - too scarey.

Are they scarier than "The Tell Tale Heart," "The Cask of Amontillado" or "The Pit and the Pendulum"? I probably wasn't even 7 when I heard those for the first time.

Kathy

I cant remember the title of my favorite book..

It was a story about a house. It was in the country and then it talks about the citylife slowly moving in on the house until it is smooshed between skyscrapers.

Does anyone remember this book?

Some of my favorites growing up was:

The Secret Garden

Harriet The Spy

The 7 Chinese Brothers

Mara Daughter of the Nile

Tuck Everlasting

The forgotten door

5th grade magic

all Dr Seuss

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Encyclopedia Brown

When I got older I loved the sweet valley high books :giggle: It's wonderful to see that some of the books are some of the same books that my kids read now too :lol:

The Monster at the End of this Book

A Semame Street book staring Grover. My son, now 26, loved this book and so did I. I still have the book and read it. Grover was my favorite on Sesame Street.

Beth

• 3 weeks later...

My sentimental favorite is T'was the Night Bfore Christams. I got a copy when I was 2 from my aunt and have it to this day. Every Christmas Eve it is read to my kids.

Otherwise I read everything I could get my hands onto!! Nancy Drew, Little house, Anne of Green Gables ANYTING.....my son also has a love of reading which I am sooooooo thankful of. He is 12 and has a university level reading and comprehension according to his school. I was taught by my grandma that if you can develop a love of reading then you have the knowledge of the world at your beck and call.

wowser, what a great question!

and what great answers!

heidi golightly, i remember the book about the house in the country, will try to find it.

all time favorite? that's tough. Probably it is The Enchanted Castle, by E. Nesbit.

my first favorite was about David and His Pots, don't know the name, but i think it was set in biblical times.

my mom and i read and re-read a book called Fraidy Cat.

Pooh: i was and forever am addicted.

Harriett the Spy: had me going for years, a fabulous book for an only child girl, although i think her family seemed incredibly, inexplicably wealthy to me.

The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Donna Parker, Honey West, The Saint, the Alfred Hitchcock dective series for kids, Encyclopedia Brown, Brains Benton, Tom Swift, the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, the L'Engle books and the Little Peppers all kept me company.

Eleanor Estes' books about the Moffats, and Ginger Pye and Pinky Pye, and The Alley and The Witch Family are all treasures. Corduroy Bear is, too. One friend met him in adulthood and refers to him as "that bear who was so sweet that he made me cry."

A nice memory to share: my grandmother and i would take turns washing the dinner dishes, and while one of us washed, the other would read aloud. I think our faves were Jules Verne and Fenimore Cooper books, but Poe was definitely in the top 10 authors group, along with Godden, E.B. White, T.H. White, Mary Norton and Burnett.

Oh, wonderful question! My mom read to both my sister and me from birth so I've ALWAYS been a huge reader and still am! I'd have to say that I'm an old-school girl and a lot of my favorites were from when my mom was young lol! I was a Trixie Belden fan and the first thing I did when I discovered Ebay was to collect the entire series. I also loved E. Nesbit, particularly the Five Children and IT series, and anything by Enid Blyton. I loved the Anne of Green Gables series and the Three Investigators (I liked the Alfred Hitchcock show as a kid...boy was I weird!!!). Any faery tales for sure....and oddly enough, since I had an advanced reading comprehension level....I started reading Sharon Kay Penman in third grade....she writes historical fiction about legendary European figures, and my first book of hers was Sunne in Splendor....yeah, I was a really weird kid! Even now I love to read and will read anything I can get my greedy little paws on. OH! I forgot the best!!! Anyone else read the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series?

C.S. Lewis has a quote that is a favorite of mine:

No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally--and often far more--worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond.

This is so true. The books that were my favorite at age 10 I still love to read today. Now that I am older I appreciate them on even more levels. It's wonderful to reread those old favorites. Recently, I reread Superfudge by Judy Blume, a favorite from childhood. I remembered thinking Peter and Fudge were funny, but reading it as an adult I picked up things I never had as a child. I laughed all the way through reading it. I don't think enough people really appreciate the quality of children's literature, which is often better than anything on the adult fiction shelves.

How apt is this!?!

Heidi, i'm almost certain that the book you're thinking of is called

(drumroll, please)

THE LITTLE HOUSE, by Virginia Lee Burton.

there's a nice write-up on Wikipedia.

I remember a book I use to check it out almost every time the Book mobile came to our school

I would love to have a copy but alas I am to old to remember the name

but it was about a little Japanese girl living with parents and either both or just grandmother and how she tried to make herself into her best friend a popular blonde girl. who turned out to envy our little herion because of her rich heritage which she witness with the doll cermony? something about the display of dolls and wearing traditions robes during this time? I was young...I loved it. dunno why. butterfly's come to mind when I think of it.

recently I got a copy of one of my favorite books

The Velvet Room!

someday one of my houses will have a velvet room!

and I was a huge Trixie Beldon fan and I have NOOO idea why I didnt think to find some of her books on E_BAY???? :wave::unsure:

ummmm guess where Im going?

Happy Reading

nutti :wave::banana:

Books..........my favorite subject. My Grandmother had the most amazing floor to ceiling bookshelf. I got to read my mother's editions (From the early 1940's) of Nancy Drew, The Bobbsey Twins, The 5 Little Peppers, Little Women and Little Men. My first books were The Happy Hollisters Series and The Annette books from Disney. I love to read. I usually can get a novel read in about 5 days.

ooooh Little Women and Little Men! I loved those...although oddly enough, though I read Little Men many many times growing up...I never actually read Little Women until I was all growed up...I'm such a weirdo!

And Nutti....Border's is working on re-releasing some of the Trixie Belden series, which may be a bit cheaper for you than hunting them up on Ebay...they are newly illustrated though and I don't know how you'd feel about that...(I personally don't like it but I'm a snob! :thumb: )

ok all you readers...anyone read the Three investigators?

I only had about 3 or 4 of them...bought for my brother who never read and no more bought when he showed no interest :(

I had all of Nancy Drew books, about 10 Trixie Beldon (and yes I dont think I would like a new Trixie)

and the Bobbsy Twins. oh and I also took over about 4or 5 Hardy Boys books

when I was 14 I lost all of it in a house fire....but I have alot of books now....my GF recently helped me clean out my book shelves and I sold 4 BIG boxes of books. my oldest son has 2 book shelves full in his old room. he told me to sell them! HAHAHAHAHAH :)

what a silly boy!

his favorite series was goosebumps, Animorphs, encyclopedia brown we got it all!

lol.

nutti :p

I sold 4 BIG boxes of books

DH & I used to own a bookstore in Jacksonville, FL, many years ago, so it will come as no surprise to anyone thet in addition to full builtin bookshelves in the 'puter room plus two free-standing we also have an etagere in the dining area full of cookbooks and three floor-to-ceiling bookcases in the livingroom, plus another bookcase under the front window & about 2/3 the length of the wall that are full, plus two or three stacks that high of unread books. The ones we think DS#3 would enjoy go with us whenever we have to run down to Tallahassee. The rest go into big cartons and once a year we take a trip back to Jacksonville to our friend Ron Chamblin whose "Book Mine" is probably the biggest used bookstore in the country (or darned close) and sell them to him.

I have five shelves of built-in bookcase just to hold the books I've collected (or made) on making minis.

I read more than one book at a time, right now I have two in the house and one in the camper going.