Favorite Childrens Book 11/07/06

Minis On The Edge

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White remains one of my favorite books. My third grade teacher read it to us and it was the first chapter book I read myself. I just loved it. Harry Potter is my new favorite, but Charlotte's Web will always hold a special place with me. What better life lesson can you learn than from the friendship between Charlotte and Wilber.

I'm a substitute teacher (Elementary certified) and I'm surprised at how many upper elementary grades no longer have story time. We always had 15-20 minutes a day set aside for just listening to our teachers read novels to us when I was in school. With all the testing kids are going through there's just no time anymore to devote to storytime. Just time where kids can relax, aren't tested on it, and can listen for enjoyment. We need to bring that back.

I also love Anne of Green Gables. I first read it as an adult and just adore this series. The first two movies by Kevin Sullivan are fabulous and I watched them when I was little, but I've always wondered why they didn't tackle her University years. It would have made a great movie.

Dr. Zeuss "Are you my mother?"

It was the favorite of both my boys when they were little - must've read it to them a couple hundred times! We read that story so often that they were able to recite each page word for word long before they could actually read!

Together we read tons of books - their bedtime story time was a favorite part of our day - but of all the books that we read, that one is the one I always think of when I think about bedtime stories.

Charlotte's Web and Winnie the Pooh, for classics. And all of the Eloise books, and The Stinky Cheese Man. The latter comes to mind as it has been adapted for stage and I'm going to see the play in a couple of weeks. :wave:

I read all of the Elsie Dinsmore books when I was young. My aunt gave me the set that she had as a child. I'll never forget poor Elsie nearly dying with fever. My own hair was pasted to my head by the time she recovered!

Some people may think it a bit strange, but my favorite when I was a kid was Edgar Allen Poe. I taught myself to read when I was 4 because no one had enough time to read to me as much as I wanted them to. By the time I was five, I was already bored with Suess (altho he is my favorite kid's author), had read all the children's classics, and sank my teeth into Poe. I knew Bruce was destined to be my mate when he told me his mother used to read Beowolf as a bedtime story.

Deb

Just time where kids can relax, aren't tested on it, and can listen for enjoyment.

Kids can't read well enough to perform well on tests and one of the BIG incentives to being able to read well is for a child to be read to by an adult who seems to enjoy what they're reading. My first male teacher was my 6th grade teacher and every day he read us a chapter of either Smilin' Jack or The Hardy Boys.

My favorite book as a child was Pilgrim's Progress. My grandpa used to read it to me, as well as the stories from the McGuffy "eclectic readers" series. Mother read me Palmer Cox's "Brownies". I could read before I started school.

One I remember our sons liked me to read to them was "Drummer Hoff", but they also liked Watty Piper's "Little Engine That Could" and the Little Bear books.

I also like the Harry Potter books, after Tolkien's books.

It's funny, but I don't remember having a favorite book as a child...but now, my all time fav in childrens books are The Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter....I didn't start the Harry Potter books at first...I was a little confused...I thought that they were kids books...but everywhere I looked, I saw adults reading them...then one day a friend of mine asked if I had ever read them...I told her what I had thought and she did verify that the HP books were indeed childrens reading, but that they were great and she loaned me the first 3 volumes and I was hooked...I will be very sad when the last book is released...

It varied with age for me. My all time favorite was Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit, but I loved all of her books and got them out of the library all the time. I think I liked the pictures even when I couldn't read well. Learning to read it was Dr. Suess. A little older I loved Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series--in fact I bought them a few years ago to reread them. Now I need to find the time. I had started to reread A Wrinkle in Time at my sister's when I was visiting. She has an autographed copy. As I got older I loved Judy Blume. I remember there being books of hers that I couldn't read until I was in high school. I'm guessing it was my parents who patrolled this but I either followed it or the library and book stores knew it too. Her books dealt with the issues of growing up and I remember the one about sex was on the have to be old enough list.

Winnie the Pooh and Dr Suess. The kids have a favorite right now that I 'have' to read every night, Scooby Doo and the Disappearing Donuts, I looked at Chris (who's going to be 13) and asked him why can't he read it sometimes? His answer, 'You're the best mom, you have Scooby and Shaggy's vocies perfectly'. :banana:

one of my all time favorites as a kid was

"where the wild things are"

each of my kids have a fav book

Jevin's was Noaha's ark(lil golden book) and a mickey mouse book about the lil tailer and the giant.

Jason liked Big Birds' colors and "I love you forever"

"I love you forever" is the book I buy all new moms and no matter how many times I read it I still well up when the son rocks his mom at the end.

Catriona was big into Dr Suess and junie B jones

the grandbaby's favorite book is "theres a wocket in my pocket"

I must read this every time she is here 3 or 4 times....now that she is talking we find her "reading" this book it is too cute.

she also like Elmo books.

I think kids enjoy whatever the person reading it to them enjoys reading.

I love to do the voices....the baby loves my elmo

hahahahahhahaha

nutti :banana:

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White remains one of my favorite books. My third grade teacher read it to us and it was the first chapter book I read myself. I just loved it. Harry Potter is my new favorite, but Charlotte's Web will always hold a special place with me. What better life lesson can you learn than from the friendship between Charlotte and Wilber.

Charlotte's Web was the first book I ever read cover to cover. Every week in school we had to go to the library. I would get a book and then promptly put it in my desk until the next week when I had to return the book. I selected Charlotte's Web by chance and started to read it. That book started me on a lifelong love of reading. My favorite author is now Robin Cook.

The first book I learned to read as a kid was the The Eye Book. I think it was a Dr. Seuss book or by one of his contemporaries. I'm not sure I'd call it my favorite.. but I guess at the time it must have been :banana: The next book I tried to tackle was True Grit.. I didn't get very far with that book at 4 years old - oh well that's why they made the movie heheheh

My son loves all books, but his favorite to read to me is one of the Easy-Reader series - it's a book of "Scary" stories lol. Not sure it's his favorite book per-se but he likes to read it to me. I think he just enjoys seeing his old pop get scared :)

-David B)

I always liked Nancy Drew. (As an adult I love forensics) I guess I never had a specific favorite. I read about 5 books a week. I was a librarian assistant for 10 of the 12 years of school and an english major. I used to go to the local elementary schools and library to read to the kids, but there is no longer class time for that. So now I read to the parrots! Both of my girls are active readers as well.

My alltime favourite childrens' book is Robert Louis Stevenson's A Childs Garden of Verses. I knew most of the verses by heart by the time I started school at the age of 6. In the first Grade, I was called upon to get up in front of the whole school and recite several of the verses.

-Susanne

Some people may think it a bit strange, but my favorite when I was a kid was Edgar Allen Poe. I taught myself to read when I was 4 because no one had enough time to read to me as much as I wanted them to. By the time I was five, I was already bored with Suess (altho he is my favorite kid's author), had read all the children's classics, and sank my teeth into Poe. I knew Bruce was destined to be my mate when he told me his mother used to read Beowolf as a bedtime story.

Deb

For the most part I wasn't allowed "children's books" because my mother said they were trash. So my favorite from my childhood is Edgar Allen Poe. Mark Twain was okay but I thought he was a little tame. After I grew up and got to read all those children's books I missed my favorites are The Velveteen Rabbit, Charlotte's Web and any thing by Dr Seuss.

I buy my grandkids what ever they want to read and I don't insult their choice of reading material.

Kathy

I buy my grandkids what ever they want to read and I don't insult their choice of reading material

you talk it lady!

when my middle son was in grade school all he read was comic books and game magazines.

he was in the special class for reading....not because he couldnt read...he didnt want to read that.

reading is hard for him so he picked what he wanted to read....at least he was reading SOMETHING

oldest son talked us into buying the Encyclopedia set we have when he was in first grade

he came home with stars in his eyes and told us " they have all the knowledge in the world"

when they came he helped carry the boxes in and kept yelling at me dont open any till I get there.

we opend a few boxes and Im like where are these things gonna go? sadly he put them away and we all went to wal-mart and bought the perfect shelf and he lovingly put each of them in order!

I wish we would have had a video...it is a perfect memory of my oldest son.

he read all of those books....he always was looking up stuff.

he is also the reason I am so now addicted to this forum.

mom...you can find out ANYTHING on the internet....and ya know... he was right! :banana:

reading no matter what you read is good for the mind and the soul. it is calming and soothing!

Pixie hardly plays with her toys when she comes to nanies...its the books!

I joined the dr suess club....and she has several new books and I am always finding new ones.

and tucked away in another room is 2 shelves of books left from the kids.

I love all books... I also was an early reader... I taught myself when my mother started Black Beauty and didnt finish it. so I did. I was 4. I read everything mom had in the house but for the smut till I was about 13 or 14 when she caught me reading the forbidden books.

ooo I need to stop or it will be a book!

lol

nutti :) B)

I loved A Child's Garden of Verses also. I also loved the Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood. Then I graduated to Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and the Little House books. Another of my favorites was called A Cranberry Thanksgiving. I remember showing my mom the recipe on the back for Cranberry bread and my family has had that for Thanksgiving every year since!

Where the Red Fern Grows. I used to hate to read, no one could get me too. Then in class we were assigned that book and I was hooked from then on. I love the Anne of Green Gables movies. I actually discovered those before the books. Historical fiction too. Right now I am reading Abraham's Well. It is about the Trail of Tears, and African American Indians. It has actual excerpts from accounts of that time. I go through about a book every 2 months.

Jeannie, you might be interested in two of my friend Lucia Robson's novels. Walk In My Soul is about Sam Houston's Cherokee wife, who died on the Trail of Tears, and Light a Distant Fire is about Osceola and his Native American and African American wives.