Polyurathane

7 posts in this topic

I made some wood floors, which I sealed with a few coats of Mod Podge. Now my husband is suggesting that I use Polyurathane instead. We have some in the garage, and it is water-based. Does anyone know if I can add a polyurathane sealer on top of Mod Podge? I really want to, but I don't want to make a mess of all my hard work.

1 person likes this

Not sure. The only way to know is to test it on a test board.  

Like Sable said, do a test. The mod podge might cloud. While time consuming, this type of test is valuable.

If Mod Podge is water soluble, why not wipe it off, give the floors a light sand and then poly them?

Yes - I too believe you should test with a small piece of the wood used for the floor with a coat of Mod Podge then a coat of the polyureathane.

I would try it first, but in my experience, modpodge remains tacky and picks up dust and fibres. I threw my bottles away once I discovered this. I would definitely use the polyurethane. FYI you can (generally) use waterbased over the top of waterbased, and oilbased over the top of oilbased or waterbased, if that helps any

Thanks everyone! I will test it out and try it, and I'll post here how it turned out.