I got an Artply Highland!

rodentraiser

Someone on Offerup had an Artply Highland dollhouse for sale. The ad was a week old and I figured someone already got it, but it was still available. It was only about 30 miles, so I drove down there this afternoon and got it. I've wanted the Highland forever and I'd like to make a Spanish house out of it. But if I have to sell it, for once I think I got a house that can be called an investment. It's still sealed in the box and the box is in PERFECT condition. You'd think I just bought it out of a store. But I'm thrilled to death. Here's a pic of what it will look like put together:

5c8aeeb7c6a95_HighlandbyArtply6.JPG.1972

Naturally, given my propensity to disfigure and reconfigure any dollhouse I get my hands on, mine probably won't look quite like this when it's finished. The tower won't be put on the house (keeping that front step though) and neither will the outside porch, and the garage on the side will be remodeled into a regular room. That front balcony won't be put on and I'm going to make arches for the porch off to the side. When it comes to wrecking dollhouses, I'm nothing if not consistent. LOL

But this one will be in the box for quite a while. I don't want to open it until I have a place where I can actually work on it. So it's living in my car for now.

• Like 4

Congrats!!  My tastes are not exactly traditional and therefore most kits don’t appeal to me but I’ve seen pics of this one a few times and I would consider this one.  How exciting.  

Jealous!!! I love the highland. Almost got one a couple of months ago too.. but got pipped while I was communicating about postage with the seller. Sounds like it’s in great condition too. Something to look forward to once you get settled on your lot. :D

Welcome to the Highland club!! :clap:   I am sure you will make something wonderful out of it!  Oh- and if you wish to sell the parts that you aren't using - - I could use a part from the tower...somewhere along the line I've lost the one section.  :(  

Anyway- looking forward to seeing the transformation!

Thank you, everyone!

Cynthia and Jackie - that's a definite yes to both of you, but it may be years before I even open the box.

Now I'm considering making the entire central section of the house an open air plaza, taking the roof and 2nd floor off over that area. I'll bring a staircase up the right side (facing the house) and then the little people will walk across a balcony above the front door to get into the bedroom. Meantime, I may have to sacrifice part of the upstairs porch for a bathroom. Well, those are my ideas today. They'll probably change tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'm not really sure. I think the company went out of business sometime in the late 80s or early 90s, but I'm not sure what decade they started. I would hazard a guess maybe in the late 70s to early 80s? I don't remember a whole lot of commercial dollhouse companies before then.

• 4 years later...
On 3/14/2019 at 8:21 PM, rodentraiser said:

Someone on Offerup had an Artply Highland dollhouse for sale. The ad was a week old and I figured someone already got it, but it was still available. It was only about 30 miles, so I drove down there this afternoon and got it. I've wanted the Highland forever and I'd like to make a Spanish house out of it. But if I have to sell it, for once I think I got a house that can be called an investment. It's still sealed in the box and the box is in PERFECT condition. You'd think I just bought it out of a store. But I'm thrilled to death. Here's a pic of what it will look like put together:

5c8aeeb7c6a95_HighlandbyArtply6.JPG.1972

Naturally, given my propensity to disfigure and reconfigure any dollhouse I get my hands on, mine probably won't look quite like this when it's finished. The tower won't be put on the house (keeping that front step though) and neither will the outside porch, and the garage on the side will be remodeled into a regular room. That front balcony won't be put on and I'm going to make arches for the porch off to the side. When it comes to wrecking dollhouses, I'm nothing if not consistent. LOL

But this one will be in the box for quite a while. I don't want to open it until I have a place where I can actually work on it. So it's living in my car for now.

NO TOWER?! The sorrow, it's coming in waves....but I can imagine what you mean about it being a Spanish house, so much luck to you! 

That's the tower it came with. It's supposed to be a modern house. You know, I don't even remember if I have this house any longer. But when I bought it, I was living in my trailer here and I know it's not in my shed and the only one I remember selling was the Hofco Americana.  I wonder if it's in my storage locker. Maybe I did sell it. You know you have too many houses when you can't even remember buying one and don't remember if you still have it. Of course, I am getting to be an old fart...memory is supposed to be the first thing that goes. LOL

6 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

...memory is supposed to be the first thing that goes. LOL

Not so, Kelly; memory is the SECOND thing to go... I forget whatever's first...

Edited by havanaholly
  • Haha 2