Any tips for museum putty removal?

LisaC

I did a search for this but didn’t come up with anything specific.  My new house has lots of what I guess is museum putty all over the place.  It’s kind of a bluish/greenish color, and someone was VERY generous with it when they decorated this house.  I can get it off of the wood just fine, but it seems to be leaving an oily residue on the wall paper.  Is there any way to avoid this?  Or do I just need to put up new wallpapers?  TIA for any advice!

I believe that oily residue is why many people don't like to use museum wax to stick things to walls.  I prefer poster putty; it leaves a matte residue on wood, but you can minimize that with a crumpled piece of brown paper bag.

Once the wallpaper is stained with the oil it is pretty much a goner. Unless you can hide it with strategically placed artwork or shelving, it will have to be replaced. 

Okay thanks.  I thought I would probably just need to redo the walls, but I didn’t want to rip everything off and then find out that if I had known a specific tip or trick I could have saved the ones I really liked.

2 hours ago, LisaC said:

I could have saved the ones I really liked.

If there is a large enough piece to scan, you might could reprint the paper you like. :) 

That blue-green stuff is called FunTac and you are only supposed to use it with sealed paper...like posters. It may have left residue on the wall even though you can see it that will bleed through to any new paper you put up. You should seal your walls with a stain-blocking primer before putting up any new paper. I had to learn this lesson the hard way:(