On the way to Boston ...

KathieB

Talked to friend NJ today. We've decided our trip to Boston will be a jumping off place, not a destination. We are going to Amsterdam instead. Good to know that I can still be spontaneous in my old age!

Need to search out miniature shops there!  I seem to recall someone from Holland on the forum. Who is it? It's going to be hard to be so close to Anna and not be able to meet. :hmm: <thinking>

Fabulous that you are going to Amsterdam! When I was there about 3 years ago I couldn’t find any miniature shops. The only thing close was an antique silver shop with a very expensive miniature silver chandelier and some other pieces I can’t picture right now cause I couldn’t afford them either. But you have to see Petronella Oortman’s and Petronella Dunios’ cabinets at the Rijks Museum which we have discussed many times here. I really hope you get to see them.

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/rijksstudio/works-of-art/dolls-houses

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

...I seem to recall someone from Holland on the forum. Who is it? It's going to be hard to be so close to Anna and not be able to meet. :hmm: <thinking>

Gleise is one of our Dutch members; I'm wracking my brain trying to recall the others (HINT:  weigh in, y'all!).  Why not work something out with Anna for a weekend day?

• Like 1

*raises hand* Im over in neighboring Denmark! 

Im not sure how it is in the Netherlands but Denmark is a barren wasteland for minis, unfortunately. From what I can tell, The Netherlands suffers from the same illness. To be honest, Crafting is not really a thing here in general and miniatures even less so.

Don’t despair, though. You just have to get creative! Hit antique shops, look in museum gift shops, souvenir stores. Ive actually found gift shops to be a great source for minis. You may see a key chain with a cool charm on it or a neat magnet (like my coat of arms magnet I got in spain). Sometimes you’ll see miniature boxes and trunks. Occassionally, you’ll catch a tea set. Always keep an eye out!

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Why not work something out with Anna for a weekend day?

I've already checked the Amsterdam/Copenhagen flights. There are several every day. NJ is making the Boston/Amsterdam reservations. Need to find out our travel days before planning a side trip.

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

You just have to get creative! ... Always keep an eye out!

I'm already on that wave length. I found some minis in a rural Czechia pottery and always check out key chain doodads. :) 

Hmmm, I do know of a few Miniature sellers in Netherlands that come to the Farum show just outside Copenhague. Will check that list.

then in Denmark  the Louisiana art center ((?) https://artworksapp.com/venues/louisiana-museum-of-modern-art?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlr7377SR4QIVBKqaCh04cA_zEAAYAiAAEgIeH_D_BwE is a lovley place to spend time.

I am checking with hubby too 

NJ and her husband were in Amsterdam a couple years ago but just for a few days. She has a list of place they didn't get to but said she would not mind going back to the Van Gogh museum with me. :)  The Louisiana Museum sounds intriguing. Thanks for the link.

• Like 2

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Louisiana Museum BUT if you come here to Copenhagen you just HAVE to go to the Nationalmuseet! There is a whole permanent exhibition of dollhouses. I totally nerded out when I found it. 

Also, In Schipol airport in Amsterdam,  there is a small exhibit that is part of the Rijksmuseum. Off that is a museum gift shop and they have the.coolest paper dollhouse for sale. It’s, I think, Rembrandt’s home. So much detail! I didnt buy but I wanted to! It’s a bit big and I just couldnt stick it in my bag lol. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Home again! Came back with a nasty case of Amsterdam cold/flu bug but until the last two days, the trip was wonderful! Saw the dollhouses at the Rijksmuseum. Our planned trip to the dollhouse store happened to fall on the King's birthday, when the entire country closed down for a wall-to-wall Mardi Gras-like celebration, so we missed out there, but had plenty to keep us entertained. Took some photos at the Rijksmuseum but not sure how well they turned out. More when I crawl out of bed in a day to two!

:hmm: Did the forum format change while I was away? Had to sign in when I tried to get back on this morning, and I see headings that weren't there before, like Chat. Does this mean it will be easier to load photos? <typing with fingers crossed>

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

...I see headings that weren't there before, like Chat...

It has been many, many years since we had the chat room on the forum; sounds like your 'puter went into the 'Way Back machine whilst y'all were gone.  And welcome home, I hope you get well quickly.

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It has been many, many years since we had the chat room on the forum; sounds like your 'puter went into the 'Way Back machine whilst y'all were gone.  And welcome home, I hope you get well quickly.

My sister loaded my refrigerator with home made chicken soup and ginger ale, with a side of plain saltines. Am moving slowly but feeling better bit by bit.

This is what is displayed. Clicking on Chat and Staff reveals inactive pages