Bathroom floor

JustDiane

I wanted to make my bathroom floor in a shabby chic style, but I think it came out a little more shabby than chic. Anyway, I could cover it with this cardstock, but I'm not sure about it. What do you think looks better?

DH118.jpg

DH119.jpg

DH120.jpg

Diane:

If you don't like the wood because it is too shabby, could you take the tile-looking floor and age it to be shabbier? Of course, I don't know how to do that, but someone here will. 

I think sometimes we are our own worst critic and seeing the whole floor as an open space might be throwing you off.  Have you tried putting some of the bathroom fixtures in there?  Once everything is in there it might have a different look.  

• Like 1

I can see either floor working. Keith's suggestion is a good one: try putting fixtures in to see how the wood floor looks. I don't think you'd need to age the "tile" floor. It would take a LOT of heavy traffic to age a real tile floor to the point where it would be obvious, so aging would probably look artificial.

I've used the same wood strips often on floors.  The trick is to put something heavy on them to flatten them as the glue dries.  I haven't tried painting them, but I usually stain after I glue them down which helps them to flatten also.  If I see a glue spot appear when I stain, I sand it, and then apply another coat of stain. 

Ok, just an opinion,I like the wood floor but I’d prefer it in one color as opposed to the different colored planks. Maybe white with a light wash of blue. Or white with blue rugs. 

I real life the wood is a bad idea, but - I like the idea small- try evening it out with a white wash, so the colors aren’t so different? 

And, maybe place your fixtures and lightly sand in the walking path- I had painted floors in an old house and there was wear in the most used areas.  Add some stain?

If it doesnt work, you can tile