First Timer Shingle and Siding questions

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone used roofing shingles on their dollhouse?  Would I be able to purchase just a couple shingles or would I need to buy a whole bundle?  Do I need a special glue or scissors?  Any other inexpensive, lightweight roofing options?

Also, what is a lightweight wood that I could use for the clapboard siding?  I don’t mind cutting it myself.  I’m a SAHM so I don’t have a large budget, but I’m starting to renovate my childhood dollhouse for my little girl.  Thanks so much!  

Welcome. What dollhouse is it? What style is it? You can use all kinds of materials for shingles but the style helps determine the type of shingle I would suggest. And you would probably need hundreds of them.

Not sure what style it is.  My mom found the dollhouse in my neighbor’s trash by the side of the road in 1995 and dragged it home for me.  It was handmade by my neighbor but by the time he finished it his daughter was too old. This is my first attempt at remodeling it, so I’m just trying to figure out my options for materials.  

It’s a mess but I think it could be really pretty.  I’ve already taken all the shingles, etc. off and cleaned it up.  

BA7D8DD1-C2FC-4571-8CA3-C4F6BFFBB672.jpeg

1 person likes this

oh wow! That is awesome! And, oh my, it does need a lot of work- but the potential is there!  :clap:  

Is the roof warped - or simply not attached any more?  Those windows all seem to be different sizes??  A small wood saw or Dremel could help you cut those to a more standard size.  Make your own windows from strip wood or purchase ready-made ones. 

Shingles could be as easy & cheap as sandpaper.  :)  As for siding....I sure there would be a cheap alternative to that as well.  You could do individual pieces of strip wood from a craft store, but that might still be rather pricey.  Someone will surely come on this thread and give you a good idea.

In the meantime, have fun with the demolition part and we'll look forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks Jackie!  I love the sandpaper idea, especially since it’s already so heavy.  I might play around with that once I get the whole thing primed.  

It’s actually in amazing shape.  The roof isn’t warped, it’s just not attached right now.  But other than that, it is incredibly sturdy.  My mom protected it with her life over the past 20 years from my dad who wanted to toss it every time Spring cleaning rolled around!

I love reading everyone’s posts and getting ideas though!  There are some beautiful projects on this forum! 

2386D5EA-6EA4-438B-A0EB-9DA92630DABD.jpeg

37AC2B02-5F41-4E60-8136-781D166B12F7.jpeg

Hi, Ashley.  Feel free to post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  I'm a great believer in sandpaper shingles:

farmhouse front yard.JPG

and I have ripped the top layer off of dampened corrugated cardboard and used that:

KathieB's photos:  Mafggie's front

I glued strips of skinny strip wood vertically to simulate board & batten on the above house, and I have used joint compound for stucco on the first one.  If you must have clapboard and have a cheap source of cardboard (posterboard from the $ store or cereal boxes comes to mind) and patience you can cut your own strips.

1 person likes this

@AshleyLNC - Wow- that house just gets cooler with every picture!  LOL  I just love the hip roof and it looks like it was VERY well made!  And with the inside being a blank canvas....well, the possibilities are endless!  :D   Have fun!

I know this isn't a creative suggestion, and probably not the most economical - but I love the look of shingles that are actually made for miniature houses. You get a huge bag of them, they are very lightweight, and the look (in my opinion) can't be beat! RGT has some on sale right now - 500 of them for $14.50. https://www.realgoodtoys.com/products/hand-split-wooden-octagonal-shingles-500

500 shingles will cover A LOT of roof. They sell shingle dye in various neutral colors (brown, grey, etc.) and the dying process is fun. . . you mix the powdered dye in a big bucket of water, then submerge the shingles in the dye, and lay them out to dry. If you go this route, you'll want to watch that the adhesive you use doesn't contain water because it can cause the shingles to warp. It's been years since I shingled my roof, but I recall using a thin bead of caulk and the end result was really clean and nice. 

If you live near Hobby Lobby, they usually have the shingle dye in stock and you can use a 40% coupon on it to save even more. You might even be able to find the bags of shingles there. 

Your "rescued" house has great bones! What a neat project! Good luck! 

1 person likes this

Thanks so much for the tips and ideas!  I’m going to look at the wood shingles Cynthia mentioned and also look at the ones Greenleaf has in stock.  I’ll keep y’all updated! :-D

I have used the Greenleaf shingles on two builds, the McKinley:

the finished interior:  the attic bedroom

and the Laurel:

The finished front

and on the Laurel I learned to stain the shingles BEFORE gluing them onto the roof.

On 4/1/2019, 6:29:00, AshleyLNC said:

Thanks so much for the tips and ideas!  I’m going to look at the wood shingles Cynthia mentioned and also look at the ones Greenleaf has in stock.  I’ll keep y’all updated! :-D

I know not all Hobby Lobby's stock the same items, and you may not have one in your area. . . but if you do, I'd look there. I was looking at the minis last week and our local store has shingles by the bag! You probably couldn't find a better price than theirs with a 40% off coupon. 

I was going for a more modern look, so for siding, on my latest house (there have been many...LOL), I mixed play sand with paint and brushed & dabbed on as a final coat (after painting the entire house the same color without the sand mixture).  Looks great .... and resembles stucco. I couldn't be more pleased!

Mharti, did I miss your intro in the Newcomers' Forum?

Hey, Holly.......Nooooo, you didn't miss it...... nothing there, as yet.  I'm not much on formal intros and talking about myself.  Thanks for the reminder, though.  :)

BTW:  What part of Alabama are you in?  I was born and grew up in Gadsden.... now in Colorado.

We moved to Seminole, just over the Perdido River from Pensacola, FL, off of US90.

Good for you, Holly.  Hope you are enjoying it as much as I did. I still love and miss AL.